data packing

Community Forums/General Help/data packing

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#1]
I searched before posting this, as I was sure to find plenty of topics.

Out of those topics I didnt find my answer, so here goes.

Im looking for a packer. Terabits is nice, but it writes everything to file first, molebox is good but the version I have only allows you to append to the exe. I need somthing that doesnt write to disk and allows you to make package files. This way I can only update the pack that has changed rather than updating 20 - 40 mb of data for a new sound, one new map or whatever.

So pretty much I want molebox ability to function without large changes to sourcecode, and the ability to use any number of external paks I wish to make.
Does anyone know of anything that can fill these requirements?

FlameDuck(Posted 2009) [#2]
7zip?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#3]
I read its decompression feature, here.

* Added ZipApi_ExtractFileAsBank. Files can be read from a zip straight
into a bank.

Maybe im missing somthing. but that simply pushes the file into a bank, and doesnt let you do somthing like Loadmesh(zip,"whatever.b3d").

Molebox just assumes its appeneded to the exe and lets any command that references a compressed/appended file do its own thing. Thats what im looking for in a packer system as well. I dont want to write a special b3d file loader, jpg loader, 3ds loader and so forth to work from banks.

I'd be glad to be wrong, 7zip looks great in every other way.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#4]
..with Molebox you can create separate data files, sound, geometry textures and so on, while EXE is separated...right?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#5]
@Naughty,

i have a version thats serveral years old, and that is not an option. I checked their website and could not find that on the feature list.

EDIT: OK i was wrong there is an option to package the molebox data to a pack file , but only one. I cannot divide my data into multiple packs. at least not with my version.

This will be good enough if I cannot find another solution soon.

Digital Anime(Posted 2009) [#6]
For zip files this topic might help :

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=71734#806662

Seems to be able to load stuff directly from the zip into Bmax.

FlameDuck(Posted 2009) [#7]
Maybe im missing somthing. but that simply pushes the file into a bank, and doesnt let you do somthing like Loadmesh(zip,"whatever.b3d").
It does if you're using BlitzMAX. I don't know/remember if this functionality (Memory Streams) is in Blitz3D.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#8]
..oh..you can split in to multiple packs, just have to go and define each pack name with extension..you can create many packs as you want with any extension you want...just keep in mind that all eventual DLL's you have, pack together with EXE or you will get error(older version of molebox, new one works in all combinations just fine)..

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#9]
Thank you everyone. Naughty you were right, I upgraded to pro and it has everything im looking for.