Complementary Discipline, which one to take?

Community Forums/General Help/Complementary Discipline, which one to take?

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#1]
Before anybody says anything: "General Help - Ask the Blitz community. The forum to ask for help, advice, recommendations, etc"

Now...here's the thing. In this second semester of my Game Design course we were given lots of options for something that would be like a "complementary discipline" here, and we have to choose one of them.
Between all of them, my two favorites are:

- Introduction to Japanese culture, from Samurais and Geishas to Manga and Anime.

- Scenography for Theater, Cinema and TV.

I'm having a big indecision between these two. I personally think Scenography could prove very useful (more info on it), as it's a subject I really like, but I'm afraid that the japanese stuff might give me an insight on japanese culture that I wouldn't get otherwise.

What are your suggestions for me to overcome this indecision?

(I got till tomorrow 1800 to choose one, if I'm not mistaken. Right now I'm currently registered for the Scenography but I can "re-optionalize", whatever that would mean in english!).

Thank you for your time.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#2]
Scenography for theater.

How is info on Samurais, and Geishas going to improve your Game design, unless you are making a true to life Samurais, or Gaisha game .

Scenography could at least help help you understand how to set up your scenes properly given the design.. it may go into color pallets and materials vs environment relationships..

Neither is going to be on the exact point of game design, but to me it seems obvious that Scenography is the best complement of those two choices.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#3]
I know, I had the exact same line of thought you did...but since a lot of people in my class are going to take the Japanese culture discipline I decided to give it a second look and I started wondering if it would be a better choice than scenography.

PS: and thanks for posting, RifRaf.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#4]
Now...here's the thing. In this second semester of my Game Design course we were given lots of options for something that would be like a "complementary discipline" here, and we have to choose one of them.
Between all of them, my two favorites are:

- Introduction to Japanese culture, from Samurais and Geishas to Manga and Anime.

I would love to be disciplined by a pretty Geisha :)

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#5]
heheh that's probably why lot's of people signed up for that :D

markcw(Posted 2009) [#6]
Well, the Japanese culture module would give insight into why Japanese games are seen as the most innovative. The Scenography is about sets and costumes and would be better if you're interested in learning techniques that can be used in games.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#7]
Oh, one thing I forgot to tell: these complementary modules are unrelated to any courses. Meaning, anybody from any course can choose one of them (So there will be people from everywhere around, Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Game Design, Architecture Design, etc. taking them)

So I'd have to choose the one which would benefit me most.

@Markcw: Yeah, that's what I thought. Using the information from the scenography for game development, like RifRaf said ("color pallets and materials vs environment relationships...") and plus how to make the environment convey certain dramatic requirements. That can be applied to level design and cinematics.

Shambler(Posted 2009) [#8]
Choose the one which you think you will need professional tuition in.

Study the other by yourself in your own time since you have an interest.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#9]
You know Shambler, that's a great way to see it.