Searching for items without getting sellers

Community Forums/General Help/Searching for items without getting sellers

puki(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm fed up of searching on an item, only to get spammed with pages and pages and pages of people selling the item.

Example: You want to buy a new piece of hardware, so you Google it - even including words such as 'review', etc; yet so much of what you can get back from a search is websites selling the item (Novatech, Scan, Overclockers, PC World, Pricerunner, etc, etc).

Is there a way to block seller information from returning in a search?

I raise this as the amount of sellers is just getting ridiculous and they are all including themselves in searches whereby you want to find a review or comparison of an item done by a tech review site.

Hand-picking your way through thousands of results (of which thousands are sellers or sales related) is ridiculous.

EDIT:
I've now raised this with Google:
I'd like an option to block sellers from a Google search. For example: when searching for reviews on hardware, electrical items, etc - you end up with pages and pages and pages of sellers. However, the point of the search is to find reviews of the item (ie from tech review sites) not end up having to pick your way through pages and pages and pages of websites that are selling the item.

I think this will be a popular feature (with people searching for useful information on an item). It also justifies the point of Google's separate 'Shopping' product search - ie keep them all in there.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
You can use - to block certain words.

For example, shaders -puki site:www.blitzbasic.com

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#3]
I would use -$ -sale -cart