Strange desktop problem

Community Forums/General Help/Strange desktop problem

JBR(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi, running Vista 64 and it has developed a problem.

After a while the desktop area is unresponsive, the bar at the bottom and the gadget bit work fine.

I can move windows around on the desktop but if I click on the background & icons nothing happens.

Any ideas?
Jim

H&K(Posted 2009) [#2]
No answer but to clarify,
"After a while....." do you mean after a while being used, or after a while being left alone.

That is you are using the computer and destop sudenly becomes unresponsive, or when you come back from a coffee you find the desktop unresponsive?

big10p(Posted 2009) [#3]
Has anyone else had access to your PC? There's an old trick where you replace the desktop wallpaper image with a snapshot of your original desktop, then hide all the icons.

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#4]
Have you done a virus scan recently?

running Vista

Nevermind, here's your real problem! ;-)

JBR(Posted 2009) [#5]
I first noticed the problem when I was browsing the blitz website.

If I clicked on a link to a file to download a big window would flash up and then dissapear and the download window never appeared.

After this I had the problems. The computer works fine, I just don't have control of my icons & desktop area.

I did try a virus scan but nothing found.

My sister was over with her husband ... so maybe he did something?

If I stay offline then the problem doesnot happen.

Jim

H&K(Posted 2009) [#6]
If I clicked on a link to a file to download a big window would flash up and then dissapear and the download window never appeared
The way a POP up stopper would work?

I suppose its possible you have an invisable POPup stoper thread takeing some cpu

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
If this just started happening a few days ago, you can try doing a system restore to a point before the problem occured, which rolls back all recent changes to the OS/registry but leaves your data files alone.
(yaddah yaddah yaddah, use at your own risk)

JBR(Posted 2009) [#8]
Problem solved ... he had been mucking around with google.

Thanks
Jim

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#9]
Hi, running Vista 64 and it has developed a problem.

Best. Honest. Statement. Ever.

Apart from this:

Hi, lit a stick of dynamite and it has exploded...

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#10]
LOL!

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#11]
I can move windows around on the desktop but if I click on the background & icons nothing happens.
At first I thought you might have had a friend play the "arrange by penis" joke on you :D