Getting a website to render correctly in IE 6/7

Community Forums/General Help/Getting a website to render correctly in IE 6/7

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

What is the recommended process for getting a website to render properly in IE6 or 7? My website ubergeekgames.com looks great in FireFox, but is totally screwed up in IE6... The left side bar's links aren't visible until you mouse over them, and the sidebars on the individual game pages are at the very bottom of the screen (below the embedded YouTube video).

I have very little experience coding CSS or HTML, which is why I used a ready made template to begin with... Anyone have some pointers to share?

Thanks!

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#2]
Why bother, it works under IE 8?
If Microsoft isn't capable of doing things right, their fault.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
Ran your site through the CSS and HTML validators at http://www.w3.org - 9 warnings for CSS, 52 errors for HTML.

Might be worth looking into.

Why bother, it works under IE 8?
If Microsoft isn't capable of doing things right, their fault.
Only a small minority use IE8. Whoever's fault it is, if a website doesn't work then it needs fixed.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
IE6/7 still makes up the majority of web users. Regardless of how much the browser may suck, if you don't support it it reflects bad on YOU

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thanks a lot guys. I never knew about that site, it's very useful! Hopefully fixing those errors will solve the problem.
IE6/7 still makes up the majority of web users. Regardless of how much the browser may suck, if you don't support it it reflects bad on YOU

That's my logic as well. Although I did think of putting some extra text on the site if you're in IE: "This website is rendering incorrectly due to your obsolete browser. Please go here (link to firefox) to download an infinitely better browser for free!" but that probably wouldn't be the most professional way of handling this... ;-)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#6]
"This website is rendering incorrectly due to your obsolete browser. Please go here (link to firefox) to download an infinitely better browser for free!" but that probably wouldn't be the most professional way of handling this... ;-)
Not really - whether or not Firefox is better is purely a matter of opinion. Personally I think it sucks quite badly of late.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#7]
Use JavaScript to detect IE, and change the code.
The bad part is that IE sucks with JS too!!

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#8]
I find that a lot of problems in IE are a result of not specifying a specific height in your elements.

Its also important to keep your syntax clean and up to standards as much as possible, as Gfk pointed out.

If you're using a template, you might want to scan through the code and fix some things, or find another template.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#9]
Although I did think of putting some extra text on the site if you're in IE: "This website is rendering incorrectly due to your obsolete browser. Please go here (link to firefox) to download an infinitely better browser for free!" but that probably wouldn't be the most professional way of handling this... ;-)

this is not far off from what microsoft did with their 10 grand hunt thingy.

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#10]
Well, I fixed as many of the errors as I could. The site now passes both the CSS and HTML validator tests, but it still looks the same (incorrect) in IE6.

Not really - whether or not Firefox is better is purely a matter of opinion. Personally I think it sucks quite badly of late.

Sure, but it's still waaaaaaay better than IE. And most importantly, my (and most other) sites render correctly in it.

If you're using a template, you might want to scan through the code and fix some things, or find another template.

It was based on a template, but I changed some of the colors and the background image I created myself. Also I changed the position and formatting of some of the objects, so I don't know if I accidentally screwed something up... I did go through and fix all of the errors the validator was throwing, and AFAIK I'm specifying a height and width for all of the objects.

I'm mainly concerned with the links on the index not showing up. Not sure what else to do at this point, aside from pointing users to FF or another browser...

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#11]
You really don't want to do that though... it is a major turn off for your users.

What would you do if you were casually browsing the web and a website told you to download and install Opera to see it? Would you continue to view that page?

EDIT: Out of curiosity downloaded Opera and its rather nice... your site looks good too.

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#12]
I got it rendering properly in IE6!

Don't really know how or why it now works; it involved spending an afternoon randomly moving around </div> tags and changing object properties in the CSS file.