Chooseing a CMS for the BlitzMax Coder website...

Community Forums/General Help/Chooseing a CMS for the BlitzMax Coder website...

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi there I'm looking into using a CMS for blitzmaxcoder.com the hosting service I use has a plethora of possible CMS options:

GeekLog
Joomla
Mamba
Drupal
PHPNUke
PostNuke

Now given that I would like to provide an online experience that mimics the layout and design of the monthly magazine, provides sections for different articles, news, downloads ect...

But above all must be easy to theme by someone with basic html/css and programming skills.

So if you have experience of using any of the above please let me know what you think?

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
Drupal, in my opinion. It's the only one I've worked with though, so..

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#3]
@Plash is it easy to setup a your own theme with it?

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#4]
Do you have to use one of those?

I use SMF with TinyPortal myself. It is easy to use and easy to mod.

N(Posted 2009) [#5]
I personally hate working with Drupal, Joomla, the Nuke variants, and Mambo is basically Joomla in the first place. I'd look for something based on WordPress, since that's fairly easy to use.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#6]
Dupal, Joomla....
I feel like I've walked into the wrong room at a convention...

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#7]
I also have a disdain for drupal and joomla and all of their kin.

When I found SMF/TP, it was like a weight off my back. Instead of poorly tacking a forum to a CMS, SMF is a Forum and Tiny Portal is a front end/CMS that is added to it as a mod. Much nicer setup, and it is very easy to use in comparison to the others.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#8]
Wordpress is another option bu I though that it was mainly for simple blog sites?

The plan is for it to be a magazine site with articles that are derived from the monthly pdf magazine!

to start with...

plash(Posted 2009) [#9]
@Plash is it easy to setup a your own theme with it?
I never made my own theme, but it was rather easy to modify an existing one (not by much though).

I personally hate working with Drupal, Joomla, the Nuke variants, and Mambo is basically Joomla in the first place.
Drupal requires some degree of tolerance and patience, but I don't have a problem with either.

It might not be the one you're looking for.

skn3(Posted 2009) [#10]
I have used Drupal, Joomla and written my own one from scratch!

Drupal is better than Joomla/Mambo. I have recently converted drupal into a completely new CMS. Section/page type based with widget placements and user access rules. Shame It was done at work and Im not allowed to release it!

(for all those drupal users.. look familiar?.. probably not!!!)

In this pic you can see a clear and distinct admin area.
Unfortunatly Drupal ties the live website and admin together. In it's vanilla form it is not really a pleasant beast to webmaster with!

You will find that if your not quite happy with drupal modules, your gonna have to do some serious dev work. Alot of the modules with drupal are very clunky!

If your looking for something simple, why not go down the blog route!

I would still go down the option of doing it yourself though... but thats me!

Shagwana(Posted 2009) [#11]
I have experience with one called textpattern, its tiny and lightweight. Looks a lot different from many of the ones available, different take on how cms should work.

Its more of a programmers tool for a website then a designers one. Sublime Games is built using textpattern, and it works just great.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#12]
I'm leaning towards trying drupal, as long as I can setup my own theme and then basic categories/sections to get the site running with it that will be fine.

Tempted to consider Wordpress but it seems to be still more of a blogging tool?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#13]
Sublime Games is built using textpattern, and it works just great.

Wow, that really does look nice.

skn3(Posted 2009) [#14]
Merx - categories/sections

Drupal doesn't have categories/sections as you may imagine. You have to do alot to get a traditional idea of adding sections and categories in drupal.

Id probably suggest Joomla if you needing that.

MikeHart(Posted 2009) [#15]
I don't see that you need full CMS features for a magazine site. So I would use Wordpress for the site. Simply to set up and has really nice features reagarding RSS and stuff like that.

Shagwana(Posted 2009) [#16]
Textpattern handles sections and categories, the plug ins are simple to install and easy disable if you need to!.

Winni(Posted 2009) [#17]
Wordpress can be customized until kingdom come. It's an awesome and relatively easy to use tool, and unlike so many other open source projects, it really 'just works'.

Textpattern looks interesting, too, but I haven't used it, yet.