CD woes

Community Forums/General Help/CD woes

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hey all,

So, I need to install XP on a newly acquired computer. Thing is, XP is on an installation CD, and the computer in question doesn't have a CD drive; it's DVD only. I can't swap the drive for a CD one either, because this PC uses SATA, and I only have ATAPI drives.

SO, what do you suggest? Is it possible to burn a copy of this XP CD onto a DVD? What do I do??? O_o

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#2]
How about just inserting the CD in the DVD drive? As they can just read CD's? Or won't it boot?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
What sort of DVD-ROM drive can't read a CD???

[edit] Other than a broken one, before some smart arse says it. :D

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#4]
[edit] Other than a broken one, before some smart arse says it. :D

Well, that was exactly it: the CD reader had stopped working. I'd tried multiple CDs, all known to work, but none of them were even recognized as present by the drive. DVDs fired up fine, however.

BUT, after disassembling the PC (not an easy task, as it's one of those goddamn compact models) removing the CD/DVD drive, then re-inserting it - having done NOTHING TO IT WHATSOEVER - it's suddenly working perfectly again. All CDs are loading. The Magic Touch to the rescue once again. :P

ANYWAY, thanks for the quick responses everyone; panic over. The thought of being stuck with a Vista-only machine... *shudder*

Now I just need to figure out how to RE-assemble this PC... O_o

Floyd(Posted 2009) [#5]
I once had the reverse problem, a DVD drive that stopped reading DVDs but would still read CDs.

In typical cheapskate fashion I kept it in case I ever need a spare CD drive. Now, years later, my only working PC is SATA so I have no use for the old drive. I should dig it out and throw it away.

Last edited 2012