Help with Subdividing + Smoothing

Community Forums/General Help/Help with Subdividing + Smoothing

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#1]
Ok, this job is for someone who is far more experienced with mesh defomation and overal mesh geometry algorithms.. ect

I have a level made with Easybuilder3D that I use in Tiny Tanks. Im able to give it a more toony look by running it through another program and performing a few operations.. Namely Weld at about 0.3 tolerance, and MeshFace smooth.

heres a before and after screenshot. The top image is the model out of easybuilder, the bottom after its been reexported from the 3rd party program.

heres some source code + models showing before and after to get a more detailed idea of the effect. She screenshots dont really show it well.

http://www.empowergames.com/demomap_after.zip

I can pay a small fee for a function that can do this in b3d code. it has to be easy to use such as newmesh=SubSmoothModel(oldmesh). The effect should be created perhaps with a variable smoothing factor so I can control the new polycount. This 3rd party app takes the polycount from about 7k to 40k, im certain it can be accomplished with fewer than that. I would be very happy with about (in the test model supplied) about 20k or so.

It doesnt do me much good to continue using a 3rd party program for this effect, if I intend on releasing a Tiny Tank map editor with the server. my email is

GameMaker04@...

please contact me if you are interested in creating this.