Advertisements. how to start?

Community Forums/General Help/Advertisements. how to start?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#1]
As the title suggests, im wondering how one starts looking for advertisement fillers.. I want to place ads in Tiny Tanks client lobby, and maybe in game so I can give the game away for free, but im not sure where to begin.

I have all my code in place to snag images and links from my server and display them ect, but as far as marketing and finding anyone who would want the ads in there.. im lost.

What does one usually charge for this? Is it per link click or somthing like that. Is there a industry standard to use for these charges? If anyone has any useful knowledge to share about all of this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
I have a friend that gets 1 cent every time a link on his site is clicked... not very profitable I know but whats even worse is the host gets 3/4 of that cent so he only gets 1/4 cent per each click... his website seems pretty popular though so he has made about $4000 a year so far...

that means 1,600,000 clicks a year or... ~4384 clicks per day? hmmm something doesn't add up there.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
have all my code in place to snag images and links from my server and display them ect, but as far as marketing and finding anyone who would want the ads in there.. im lost.

What does one usually charge for this? Is it per link click or somthing like that. Is there a industry standard to use for these charges? If anyone has any useful knowledge to share about all of this I would really appreciate it.

there are companies that provide the ads - you can sign up with one of them displaying it. Revenue is low, though -- rates vary among companies, but for the most part you can forget about getting any significant amount of money unless people actually click and follow an ad. The bottom pretty much fell out of the pay-per-view ad model, in part thanks to the populatiry of adblockers. Pay-per-click is a more interesting metric for the advertiser, so they'll pay more for that.

And keep in mind: Actually *telling* (or asking) your customers to click on the ads is considered clickfraud by most of the networks, so don't do that.

The biggest ad networks: Google Adwords/Adsense, Yahoo Search Marketing and Microsoft AdCenter. Probably the easiest way to implement it (in windowed mode, at least) is an embedded HTMLView in a MaxGUI framework, that way you don't have to do anything fancy to show the ads, and you have a lot more network you can do business with than if you were to have your own proprietary methods of capturing/showing the ads.

Digital Anime(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'm using Google Adwords/Adsense myself, great thing about it is that you can decide what kind of commercials you want to have on your site, like maybe advertisement that has only something to do with gaming for example.

I didn'tmake much money so far with it, but I didn'd spent much time on it either.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#5]
Be aware that most services (Like Adwords/Adsense) doesn't allow you to put "in-game" advertisement, only webpage ads.

I pretty much doubt any ad program will be enough to give any money, unless you have many, many visits/clicks.

One example: I have two very simple flash games online (shameless plug: http://www.icongames.com.br/flash/ ), both ad-based with more than 40k ad impressions - and I didn't get even $20 for it!

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#6]
gotcha. thanks guys. Looks like I may have to sell the game after all.