BT Hmmm

Community Forums/General Help/BT Hmmm

Yeshu777(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've recently had BT home hub, broadband, vision etc.. installed.

All well and good.

But, every now again my laptop will connect to BTOpenZone, which is a pay as you go. Which doesn't let me access the net without paying.. I have to re-direct my laptop to the correct access point.

The thing is, it's my wifi hub.. how can BT charge someone else for using my broadband connection, when they're charging me for it?

I know for 100% that this BTOpenZone didn't exist until I had my broadband installed...

Anyone else have this?

Very Curious.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2009) [#2]
Yeah BT,uses your connection as a commercial hotspot, so you pay for the connection; and they make all the money. Great isn't it?

Better hope your not doing anything important if one of you neighbours or someone happens to be passing and wants to download a big torrent. Worse if they happen to download anything nasty, you get it added to your record!

Awesome or what?

They do tell you they are going to do this, but most customers don't read their paperwork.

Another reason why I DON'T choose to use BT.

Articles here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/03/openzone_opt_in/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/27/bt_business_fon/

Darkheart

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#3]
You can disable this facility in the hub, I believe. I think you either go into the hub settings or log out of the BT Fon online account page. (Ask their technical support if you can't figure it out.)

Worse if they happen to download anything nasty, you get it added to your record!

No you don't -- it goes in the passing downloader's Fon account records. They have to log in to the Fon system to use your router, and it's all logged separately, including download limits, etc. Only about 512 KBPS is allocated, I think, and even then your connection gets priority.

I don't personally like the idea of it being enabled by default, but I was bored enough to have skimmed this at work...

http://www.btfon.com/support/faqs

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#4]
No, the ISPs record

Yeshu777(Posted 2009) [#5]
Cheers thanks for the advice everyone, most appreciated.

I must admit I was quite surprised when this popped up on my possible wifi acces points..

Regards.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#6]
What the hell???

So, if I were to pay for broadband from BT, the whole street can use it, BT make loads of money off it, then I get a snotty letter in the post because my BT router is sucking all the bandwidth dry?

If you have that option enabled and BT are making money out of it, you should get your internet access for free.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#7]

I get a snotty letter in the post because my BT router is sucking all the bandwidth dry?

No, see above. (You get access to others' wifi points in return.)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#8]
You get access to others' wifi points in return
[edit] Never mind - I had a read at the FON article. It kind of answered a few questions.