How do you speed up Window Vista to make faster?

Community Forums/General Help/How do you speed up Window Vista to make faster?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have check the task manager and before I used to have 24 program running in background and now gone down to 14 program running in background. When I play the game and I have notice the game freeze now and then....on XP...never happen but what would i like to know how do i speed vista(basic) up?

I have done Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup. Is there anythings that I dont know of because I dont know much about Vista!

Ked(Posted 2009) [#2]
Is there anythings that I dont know of because I dont know much about Vista!

It's been replaced by Windows 7.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#3]
I don't know how much is possible, because I understand Vista has a lot of 'fixed security' implementations, but generally, speeding up windows can be achieved by:

Increase Caching
Decrease Visual Options pertaining to the Desktop/Themes
Kill Unnecessary Processes
Disable Unnecessary Services
Disable AntiMalware On-Open/Running Process Checks
Disable Automatic Disk Defragmentaiton (Not sure if Vista does this, I presume it does)
Disable Firewall (Not recommended)
Disable any Virtual Drives
Depending on the Speed of your HD, you may find Swap File usage is more of a slowdown.
If you have a multicore processor, and the game does not support this, ensure it runs on a core separate form more intensive CPU processes.
Ensure drivers are up to date.
If running audio through a chip-based onboard codec suite rather than a dedicated card, better results may be obtained by disabling the sound device.
Keep system cool.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#4]
Vista is a memory hungry pig.... if you have less than 2Gigs you are hurting (because the system will start using the swap file)... 3 Gigs seems to be optimal from my experiences.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#5]
mine is 2GHZ with 4GB RAM :)

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#6]
Have you run the Performance Tools under Control Panel? They can help get you started on identifying where the slowdown is coming from... another way is to Ctrl-Alt-Del, Task Manager, Processes, and then sort by CPU Usage.

Cheers.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#7]
Increase Caching - Not sure on how to do it.
Decrease Visual Options pertaining to the Desktop/Themes - Done that.
Kill Unnecessary Processes - done that
Disable Unnecessary Services - I got so many program running but not sure which one to disable it!
Disable AntiMalware On-Open/Running Process Checks - done that
Disable Automatic Disk Defragmentaiton (Not sure if Vista does this, I presume it does) - Not sure about that
Disable Firewall (Not recommended) - Understandable
Disable any Virtual Drives - Not sure about that
Depending on the Speed of your HD, you may find Swap File usage is more of a slowdown. - I think my hard drive is about 54000 rm speed
If you have a multicore processor, and the game does not support this, ensure it runs on a core separate form more intensive CPU processes.
Ensure drivers are up to date. - I have 2 core CPU
If running audio through a chip-based onboard codec suite rather than a dedicated card, better results may be obtained by disabling the sound device.
Keep system cool. - yeah I think I have get new Cooler underneat the computer.

I have click performance tool and my vista is running faster but when come to game....it freeze every now and then....could be my slow hard drive as never happen before until now!

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#8]
Make sure your video driver is up-to-date... that will kill gaming if something is not working right and can cause freezes.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
All things being equal, Vista is slower in part because it runs a lot more crap in the background. Of course, everything that runs will be fighting for part of the available CPU power.

Some of the slowdowns will also be due to the additional need for memory, which can lead to delays due to swapping stuff from RAM to the harddrive and vice-versa.

The #1 speed boost, is to make sure that you have a ton of memory. Vista isn't really happy unless it has 2GB or more to work with.

You can further optimize a bit by going through the windows services and disabling some of the unnecessary parts, which would cut down a little on CPU and memory overhead. You can also disable a bunch of the graphical eyecandy and the likes.

but yeah -- all things being equal, XP will outperform Vista on identical hardware. All the new additions and tweaks do come with some extra overhead, after all.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#10]
How do you speed up Window Vista to make faster?

Replace it with XP. Bingo.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#11]
Either buy many more gigs and turn all the crud off or reinstall XP.
Vista isn't really happy unless it has 2GB or more to work with
I found it needed more than 2GB. Vista is a memory monster. With just 2GB XP was much quicker on my machine (when under load and being used rather than boot up speed :D) I Upgraded to 4GB and now vista is a bit faster i would say, so i guess 3GB must be the break even point.)

JKP(Posted 2009) [#12]
When I play the game and I have notice the game freeze now and then....on XP...never happen but what would i like to know how do i speed vista(basic) up?

When you say "the game" are you talking about a commercial product or a game you are making?

I'm guessing you might have disabled the Superfetch service. This will mean that files from the game are being loaded from the disk on demand rather than being cached beforehand and this will cause short pauses. Check if the service is still running.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#13]
A game I was playing called ZERO Hour :)

Vista Basic Suck!