Forum setup advice please.

Community Forums/General Help/Forum setup advice please.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi, ive been making a website to be the home of the Community framework and was wanting to add a basic forum, were people could post bugs or code etc. Ive got very little experience of seting up anything like this. I have a hosting package with streamline.net which has 5 mysql databases and im looking at phpbb.com

from what i can gather its just a case of uploading the package from phpbb.com to my webspace and installing it from there?

has anyone got any info as i cant find a simple guide anywhere.

Pete

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#2]
Phpbb also offers a forum on their servers that you administer through your browser. I had one for a bit, and it was fairly easy to use and from what I could tell, had a lot of features.

josk(Posted 2009) [#3]
If you go to phpbb.com and go to support, documentation there is a guide thats easy to follow.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#4]
thanks, its almost like theres to much info on that site.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#5]
if you haven't already started on something check out http://www.bestfreeforums.com/index/ very simple to use and pretty much hassel free imho (and i'm someone who knows next to nothing about this stuff).

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#6]
SMF with TinyPortal is a pretty decent setup for a site with forums.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#7]
freeforum101.com ?
then you dont have to host it. I use them, it seems pretty good/standard/low spam. Has 1 advert box but nothings really free is it :D

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#8]
I dont mind paying the hosting ive used them before and there a great company to deal with. I think ill try a free one for the time being though thanks.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#9]
I would also like to submit a vote for punBB, which I use myself.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#10]
interesting i will look at punbb as i like the sound of a cut down fast forum.