Testing of TileMap Engine

Community Forums/General Help/Testing of TileMap Engine

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#1]
Can someone download this and see what the FPS comes up as... I'm not getting a lot and want to know if its the crap video card in my laptop or my code... the first screen is the brush maker.. click edit map to see the map. This is by no means polished so I'm not looking for interface critiques yet.

http://sites.google.com/site/skullyproductions/Home/NewGame.zip

Cheers

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
Tried it, crashes with a MAV for me :/

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
Weird,

I just dl'd it, extracted it, and ran it... are you sure your folder paths are being preserved? There should be a media folder and under that a Maps and MapSets folder...

Yasha(Posted 2009) [#4]
MAV here too.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
OMG...GD MAV! I'm compiling on Vista.. either of you on Vista?

Folder structures are ok?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#6]
Unzipped with Directories intact. No Vista here, just XP.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#7]
mav here aswell on xp

i even tried moving the folder structure bit by bit and testing until all associated files where in the root folder with the exe and still nothing.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#8]
Are you hardcoding any directories specific to Vista whether for reading/writing?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#9]
I'm using CurrentDir() and then adding the path from there... should work but apparently not! Its only reading at startup

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#10]
Does B3D allow you to get AppPath? API-wise, isn't AppPath tied to the actual EXE where CurrentDir is tied to the process (which might be different since B3D has a runtime)?

Can't be of more help, as I only have BMax and I am not familiar with B3D specifics.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#11]
I'm going to try removing all but relative references... not sure why I went the way I did...

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#12]
Should be fixed...

Of course it worked for me.. I had the full path in the data file... it exists on my computer LOL

http://sites.google.com/site/skullyproductions/Home/newgame.zip

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#13]
Is it still MAV'ing?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#14]
Downloading now...

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#15]
No, MAV :) Works, FPS changes too fast to really see, but seems to go from 30-60, which is with Opera, netvampire, WinAmp and a few others running.

Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
1GB RAM
GeForce4 MX 4000 64MB

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#16]
Oh, I forgot about the flip 0... its going to be restricted to 60hz if your monitor refresh is 60 Doh!

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#17]
tileset screen: 60-80 ... drops to as low as 8 for a sec or 2 when first started.

edit map screen:32 - 50ish

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#18]
I'm not getting a lot and want to know if its the crap video card in my laptop or my code...
Since you mentioned you were using Vista, it is worth pointing out that Vista does not support DX7 (DD/D3D). It is emulated at runtime. You may already know this, so please do not take offense if you are aware of this issue.

You might try writing the same thing in B+ (I think you said you have B+) and use B+'s OpenGL driver to see if you get better performance.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#19]
King,
The fps system uses an averaging system so it will ramp up from a low value... Your getting about the same as I am on my Laptop... since I switched to Flip 0 I'm getting up to 75fps on the brush creator screen but it drops to the same as you have on the Map Edit Screen... I wonder if the text is slowing things down.. I seem to recall the text commands were slow compared to using image fonts.

Whats your Proc speed, Vid Card?

GaryV,
LOL, I never got into B+ so... I'm not too worried about it.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#20]
If it relates to 3d, are you loading your textures with the 1+8 flags, or at least the 1 flag? This causes vista to crash if you don't. You can't just do:

Texture = LoadTexture("texture.bmp")

As this may not work on some vista OS's.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#21]
No this is a 2D Tile Map Engine I'm planning on using to create a kids game with... no 3D in this one... but great to know for future.. thanks

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#22]
xp sp 3
amd 2200 xp+
1gb ram
nvidia geforce 7300 gt

and yes as far as i know the text command is slow compared to using image fonts.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#23]
Windows XP (SP3)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
4G Ram (Of which 3.14 is available)
Sapphire RADEON XT1600 PRO

Steady 60 fps here (even in Edit Map mode)

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#24]
With that kind of firepower I should hope so... I'd bet you would go into some serious high numbers with the vwait off

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#25]
OK, I've optimized some code, built a font system out of images, and removed the vwait restriction... its increased my FPS about 25%. Could a couple different people download and let me know what kind of fps you show please?

Cheers,

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#26]
start up fluctuated between 40 - about 119 for a sec then fluctuated between 100 - 119 with the odd dip to 90+

edit mode fluctuated between 43 - 69

so compared to my other post a deffinate improvement.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#27]
Hi King... the FPS system uses a fixed history period with average so It actually has to ramp up :)

Thats awesome that you see the improvement too! Thanks for taking the time to test it.. I know its not bells and whistles yet but it will be :) I've started a worklog at http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=2896&log=1687

Cheers.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#28]
OK, testing time again

Can someone give this a go... let me know the FPS in the brush edit, map edit, and run game screens... I'm just getting ready to start adding interesting stuff and would like to know how much fps I have to work with on average... I'd like to know on low-end as well as high end. The RunGame screen can be scrolled with the arrow keys.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#29]
Moved to... Here