Sound not working in ubuntu 9.04

Community Forums/General Help/Sound not working in ubuntu 9.04

Jason W.(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm a HUGE linux noob, so bare with me. It's been 12 years since I seriously used linux.

Here is my issue:

I installed ubuntu on my laptop (HP TX2510US), and I lost sound after installing linux ati 9.5 drivers.

Here is a link to my laptop specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01471025&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I hope someone can help :)

Thanks,

Jason

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
Some of the newer ATI video adapters have on-board HDMI, which can install a secondary sound device on your computer. (HDMI = DVI + sound)

Make sure that your actual soundcard is set to be the default output device, and not the ATI HDMI interface. No idea how to do that under Linux, but maybe this can be helpful to you...

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#3]
I had problems with sound when I installed Ubuntu on my HP. My solution: Go back to Windows :)

Sorry, that was unhelpful.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#4]
goto terminal and type "lspci"
look up the list for anything that looks like your sound card.
If it is there then it is probably just muted in alsa. There are two sound controls. The one in gnome and the basic alsa mixer. The latter seems more reliable for debugging.

Go to terminal and type "alsamixer" make sure the main channel and PCM are not muted. Its got an odd controls i think its like arrow keys and space to change things (check the man/help on alsamixer or figure it out by fiddling)

This usually fixes the problems if the sound system seems to be there but has no sound. Failing that, goto ubuntu forums you usually find a quick fix.

had problems with sound when I installed Ubuntu on my HP. My solution: Go back to Windows
Pu'sy! (;D)
Personally i prefer to have all my problems when setting up rather than when using it. :D