protect files

Community Forums/General Help/protect files

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#1]
hello...

i only have to protect some files to finish and relase the first demo version of my game...

today i going to learn about how to protect some files i wont.. but i don't know nothing about that...

for install the game, i use innosetup, is ease and very good...

what tool is the most use for you programers, to protect some .b3d files and pictures files...

i don't know much about extreme programming, so, i need some easy tool for use....

what is the best option?..

thanks..

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
MoleBox Pro. It is very affordable and very stable.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#3]
ps. This thread, like your other one, are in the wroung forum. They should be in "General Help".

puki(Posted 2009) [#4]
Yes Molebox - pick that one - use Molebox.

My favourite.

Everyone should use Molebox.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#5]
puki - Doesn't MoleBox make it harder for you to swipe media?

puki(Posted 2009) [#6]
Nope - I can decompress Molebox stuff in seconds.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#7]
ps. This thread, like your other one, are in the wroung forum. They should be in "General Help".

ups... sorry :( ... (can move this post?)

so, the molebox is not a safe option?

puki(Posted 2009) [#8]
I'd say it is pretty safe.

The point is, your media is protected when you release your game.

Even if your media is unencrypted, people cannot just release a game using your media.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#9]
MoleBox allows you to pack your media into the EXE or an external file. It also allows you to compress your media and encrypt your media.

ups... sorry :( ... (can move this post?)
No need to be sorry, I was only pointing it out because you might get more responses in the other forum. :)

puki(Posted 2009) [#10]
Anyway, think of all the money you will make selling your game.

"Cygnus" turned down my £2k or £2.5k offer for his 'Fun Racer Engine' thing.

I think he wanted something like £6,000 for it.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#11]
:)...

if i use molebox, the .exe is open to create all archives in hard disk for load and play the game...
the info can be copy but not modify... if someone change something, don't mother becouse the next time i run the game, the files are created by the .exe files unpacker... (sorry my horror english)

can i open a file inside the .bb file?, or .exe file when the .bb is compile?.. something like if my .b3d file is inside my bb code?

terabit is free?
molebox is cost 99$

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#12]
f i use molebox, the .exe is open to create all archives in hard disk for load and play the game...
the info can be copy but not modify... if someone change something, don't mother becouse the next time i run the game, the files are created by the .exe files unpacker... (sorry my horror english)

It's my understanding that it won't temporarily extract them to the hard drive. However, your basic point that this will stop people tampering with the files your game uses is accurate. It will stop people messing around with a file and breaking the game, yes.

Terabit packer will unpack to the hard drive, yes. And you're right, they'll be overwritten next time they run the game, so it wouldn't matter if someone grabbed the temporary files and modified them.

So just to be clear, neither Terabit or Molebox will stop people from getting at your graphics files. They will both stop people from being able to edit files which your game uses though.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean about opening files inside the .bb. My understanding - again, I haven't personally used Molebox - is that you don't change your code at all. You just load your graphics/sound files as though they were there as normal. Molebox will patch the EXE and change the load calls to point to the real location instead.

Terabit is free, yes.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#13]
thanks Gabriel..

media inside the .bb file..

i mean, creating some function to merge a b3d file data into the source fode before compile the game...

something like

function car_mesh
all file data of the car mesh b3d"
and load that data from memory or something
end function

maibe that is the same of use terabit, don't know

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#14]
You should probably avoid Terabit. It is more trouble than it is worth if you are targeting Vista systems as your EUs would need to run as admins, or you would have to install your program into a directory it is not supposed to be in. You could rewrite Terabit to make it Vista friendly, but it would not be worth the effort IMHO.

Unless you need to pack DLLs/OCXs, the standard version of MoleBox should suit your needs. There are other alternatives out there, but MoleBox is one of the cheapest and most reliable.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#15]
f i use molebox, the .exe is open to create all archives in hard disk for load and play the game...
the info can be copy but not modify...
MoleBox does not extract your files to the disk when your EXE is run. There is nothing for somebody to copy or modify as your media is protected at all times.

(sorry my horror english)
Your English is fine ;)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#16]
your media is protected at all times.

no game media is ever protected as it can easily be ripped off of the video memory or even ripped out of the exe itself.

just use terabit or molebox to pack the media and be sure to give it all a license and you can sleep assured that someone somewhere will decide to illegaly steel your media and be determined enough to actually figure out your encryption but far more people will just play your game for fun and not even think about stealing the media even if you put it right in front of their faces.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#17]
no game media is ever protected as it can easily be ripped off of the video memory or even ripped out of the exe itself.
You are quoting me out of context. I am guessing it is because you have not used MoleBox or Terabit's packer to know how they work. I am actually comparing the two products.

Terabit's packer does not protect your media. It extracts your media at runtime and writes it into the EXE's directory in the original unprotected format and then loads it. There is no protection to bypass.

MoleBox actually protects your media. Your media is never extracted in an unprotected format that people can easily grab or tamper with like Terabit's packer. Your media is protected at all stages and if people want to tamper with or swipe your media, they have to bypass the protection.

be determined enough to actually figure out your encryption
Not a concern for Terabit since they can just grab your image, sound or 3D files. No encryption/protection to bypass or figure out.

*(Posted 2009) [#18]

Seeing as this is related to a Blitz created game I thought it would have been in General Discussion

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#19]
Seeing as this is related to a Blitz created game I thought it would have been in General Discussion
Don't see how. This (and the other thread) are asking for help with third-party solutions, not bashing Windows or Linux ;)

*(Posted 2009) [#20]

Don't see how. This (and the other thread) are asking for help with third-party solutions, not bashing Windows or Linux ;)

He is basically asking how to protect media on a game written with a Blitz product so surely that is a blitz 'related' question.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#21]
He is basically asking how to protect media on a game written with a Blitz product so surely that is a blitz 'related' question.
I am guessing that why it got moved to the help section as it has nothing to do with Windows or Linux bashing or the other 99.99% of nonBRL topics that compose general discussion.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#22]
If it's Blitz2D/3D, then get thee to the Toolbox link at the top of the page:

I always liked "Blitz Media-Linker" myself.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#23]
thanks.. i go to try the blitz media linker...

please, can give me more info about this?

be sure to give it all a license

i have the copyright or author rights of the program code, media and all cd contain, what more can i do?

the important thing, not only is protect my media files, the game have some logos of latatoy in jpg files, i wan't to protect the logos etc..
so, put all in .exe is a very good option..

other thing, is how protect my b3d files...

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#24]
other thing, is how protect my b3d files...
MoleBox allows this. I can't speak for the other solutions mentioned.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#25]
another possible solution that someone had posted in another thread awhile back is http://www.phoenix-sentry.com/product_detail.php?detail=1 . i'm not sure how good it is or isn't, but i did a test with a blitzmax app on my xp comp and had a friend run the test on his vista comp and it seemed to run ok.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#26]
i have the copyright or author rights of the program code, media and all cd contain, what more can i do?

you can use some sort of media protection program but those are generally too intrusive. or you could hunt down every single little kid who might copy paste some of your media to their own little folder planning to make the next Halo 3...

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#27]
or you could hunt down every single little kid who might copy paste some of your media to their own little folder planning to make the next Halo 3...
Why do you have to pick on puki :(

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#28]
i feeling if i put all media, b3d and pictures files into a .exe
i am going to have a game with a .exe of 100mb.. that is absurd...
and i think only for that, the program only go to work in the half of computers...

my game maybe had more than 100mb only of media, b3d and images and textures..

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#29]
i test the blitz media linker..

works perfectly... i create a alone .exe of 120mb
and work fast..

the media linker ask in the final wizard.. is i want all in one .exe file or separate file for media....

what is more recomended?

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#30]
i'm back!

:)

i finish the demo, but when i want to protect some files, using media linker, have some problems..

i noted sometimes, when i have 2 files, with a same name but diferent directory, have a reason for a fail...

i think the media linker merge all files in one directory?...

why if i compiler with blitz, run the .exe the game works, but with media linker have some problems...

any advice?.. i have 30 mb of files...

some b3d, jpg, bmp, dds, mmm nothing more..., ah, mp3 and wav

regards...!..

i make some test with less files and work with other programs i write in past.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#31]
Is there any functions to molebox that would useful for a blitzmax game as you can use incbin?

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#32]
i found this image in blitz forum..

does molebox homepage has a molebox option, only has pro and ultra?

i from argentina, it's too expensive for me to buy the molebox pro...

do i have other options to buy molebox? is there a simple version, that isn't that expensive?