Innosetup question

Community Forums/General Help/Innosetup question

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#1]
hi, i don't know if this post is ok here...

i am trying to understand the innosetup, using the demo example i made a small installer, i compiler, but i can't find where the innosetup create the executer archive for make installs...

i only see a iss archive :(

the inno when compile make a .exe file?

regards..

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#2]
The .exe should be stored in the same folder as the .iss script, in a subfolder named "output."

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#3]
Look for IStool, it makes using inno MUCH easier.

And what Adam said, its in the ./output/ folder as a self extracting exe install file.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#4]
ok, thanks, i going to try, and search the IStool... :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
Personally I think ISTool makes it more difficult.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#6]
Really?

Maybe you're right, but my first impression of inno out of the box looked like i almost needed to learn a new language :D

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#7]
i finish my first test with inno, is perfect :p

the only problem i found, is when the installation of the game is finished, it creates desktop icon, but that icon, is not a "direct access"
the same with the program menu folders..

so, if i run the game, with a not direct access icon, the game fails, becouse the source directory is wrong...

can i create direct access in the inno, and put it in the programs windows folders and descktop?

sorry my bad bad english...

what other easey solution can i aplly?

nrasool(Posted 2009) [#8]
Hey Latatoy, Its in the FAQ, you need to change the working directory, see http://www.jrsoftware.org/isfaq.php#workingdir

GfK(Posted 2009) [#9]
You can use workingdir in InnoSetup, or at the start of your code, add this line:
ChangeDir(SystemProperty ("appdir"))

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#10]
thanks people, i go to fix that :)

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#11]
Personally I think ISTool makes it more difficult.

I'm sort of in agreement with that. For me, it's more a question of preference; I'd rather learn how to effectively use a few lines of script than learn how to use an entire, rather non-intuitive GUI. Which is somewhat ironic, since I love GUI programming. XD

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#12]
I don't think I even know what ISTool is. I have a version of Inno Setup from however long ago and it's been just fine for me :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#13]
@Malice, likewise, I've got by fine with stand alone Inno setup.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#14]
I don't think I even know what ISTool is.

Its a gui frontend wizard for Inno. (A -little- bit similar in some ways to VS/.NET's 'application setup project' wizard)
Basically you answer a few questions, tick a few boxes, tell it what to add to start menu and click go. (then it writes your script for you.)

I guess its what you are used to. For me this was a lot easier than learning the script. (first go with IStool it took me <10 minutes 'out of the box' with no clue about inno script to pack my first app)

sswift(Posted 2009) [#15]
Use the Wizard in Inno Setup. Don't be fooled by the notepad like interface it gives you when it first starts up. The wizard is very straightforward.

ISTool is probably really powerful, but it's also super confusing, with no way to tell what you need to do to do the most basic app setup.

I think I found a video tutorial on Inno Setup on youtube. Look for one of those, it'll make things much easier.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#16]
D4NM4N (Posted 7 hours ago) #14

I don't think I even know what ISTool is.

Its a gui frontend wizard for Inno. . .Basically you answer a few questions, tick a few boxes, tell it what to add to start menu and click go. (then it writes your script for you.)

I guess its what you are used to.

Ah.. that would likely have been easier. But as you say, it depends what you're used to. I never even knew of ISTool, so started off with the scripting which I'm now pretty comfortable with :)