nSprite or SpriteCandy

Community Forums/General Help/nSprite or SpriteCandy

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#1]
Which would you say is better?
SpriteCandy costs $46
nSprite2 costs $20 -Link

It looks like they do the same things but which would you recommend? Would nSprite2 be ok to go with since it's cheaper? Or would you say to use something other than those two?

Matty(Posted 2009) [#2]
I've used nsprite2 with no problems, not used spritecandy so cannot compare.

nsprite2 has a number of quirky limitations you find out as you go but for basic 2d in 3d works very well.

N(Posted 2009) [#3]
I'd say nSprite is better, but this is just because I know gosse isn't stupid, whereas I have no clue about the author of SpriteCandy and cannot make judgments.

gosse is, however, an immense dork.

Orca(Posted 2009) [#4]
he's also canadian :/

N(Posted 2009) [#5]
Yeah, that could be a problem...

josk(Posted 2009) [#6]
I have Sprite Candy and its worth every penny.
Its easy to use and has a lot of useful functions.

If you need a HUD for a 3D game its easy to implement.

Not used nSprite 2.

gosse(Posted 2009) [#7]
;_; you guys are mean

:P

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#8]
@Matty: Limitations? What kind of limitations

Uncle(Posted 2009) [#9]
As Josk says Sprite Candy is worth every penny. It's logical, robust and powerful. You can knock up a nice gui / hud in to time at all. I've used it in every game I've written. Support from Mike the author is excellent as well.

I've tried Nsprite as well and its certainly good, but I liked the syntax of sprite candy more and it had plenty out of the box effects.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#10]
Sprite candy in my experience so far is the most professional polished B3D extension library there is. For Guis, In game HUDs or 2D/3D type games it simply cannot be beat.

The gui module is a must have for it, ive modified mine to include combolists, file browser, notify/confirm dialogs and some functions that allow any setup to scale to any size resolution. If you get the lib shoot me an email to GameMaker04@... , and ill be happy to share my mods.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#11]
Oh the temptations. I'm really considering getting SpriteCandy now. I've seen the demos and they're pretty awesome. nSprite showed that it can do shadows, can SpriteCandy do that as well? Also, if I do get SpriteCandy, what will it come as (.dll,.bb,etc) and will I be able to redownload it if I lost/deleted it like you can with blitz programs?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#12]
SC doesnt require a dll its all blitz code. You get the includes and the decls. And yes it can do shadows, text, input box,set it and forget it special effects .. list goes on.

MikhailV(Posted 2009) [#13]
FastImage cost $10. What sense to buy less fast libraries?

Reactor(Posted 2009) [#14]
The only issues I've run into with Sprite Candy is that the included image packer can't handle things like 24bit pngs with an alpha, and a few of the timing options for some of the effects are a bit... strange. Aside from that, it rocks. I can't use B3D without it.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#15]
I'll think about it for awhile and take a look at FastImage too.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#16]
Can FastImage do GUIs/shadows/button clicking/etc without having to program it yourself?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#17]
The fastex libs dont come with precoded gui. They are not expensive though. I would grab them even if you arent going to use them for a gui.
I use them for the post proccessing, and I use fasttext for entity labeling in game. ( see label entity in the code archives.. slow with normal text.. completely viable solution with fast text)

Spritecandy has a gui addon thats about an additional 3300 lines of well written code, on top of the 7000+ lines of code for SC.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#18]
I have found some free stuff just hanging around the blitz forums.

nPoly - http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=91
nPoly says it's free but in the nPoly.bb it says not to redistribute it, kinda ironic dontcha think?

DevilShadow/Physics/GUI/Particle System - http://www.devil-engines.net/

So I'm thinking, should I just use those instead?

Edit: I just tried the nPoly and have a new very important question. First, I saw that it can detect collision but there is no way to actually act upon it automaticly like UpdateWorld does with meshes/models to make them move where they need to be. Can SpriteCandy or nSprite do 2D Collisions like UpdateWorld does with 3D Collisions?