Need some help with IS Tool / Inno Setup

Community Forums/General Help/Need some help with IS Tool / Inno Setup

sswift(Posted 2009) [#1]
I need to know the basics.

I want to create my application directory. (I think I did this right.)
I want to create subdirectories of that.
I want my executable to go into the application directory.
I want my data files to go into the appropriate subdirectories.

Do I just need to drag the EXE and directories into the window and specify the application directory in one of those dialog boxes to accomplish that stuff?

I also want to create a desktop icon. Which I guess needs to be a shortcut to my executable, but obviously I can't just create a shortcut and include that in the installer as it will point to the wrong directory, so I assume the installer can create this somehow?

And I need to create a folder in the start menu with my application's name, and that same shortcut/icon to the executable.

Is there a manual for this thing somwhere? There's these directives in curly braces that I don't know what they do other than {pf} which was explained in a youtube tutoruial I found as being the program files directory.

sswift(Posted 2009) [#2]
Actually, nevermind. I found out that Inno Setup has its own install creation wizard, and it's stupidly simple to use. I thought I had to use IS Tool, which is much more complicated and has little to no documentation.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
ISTool is supposed to make the job easier, but personally I've never really got along with it. I find it much simpler just to run the install creation wizard in Innosetup, then tweak it a bit til it works how I want it to.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#4]
I use Inno Setup and it's pretty good.

It will let you chjoose where to default start menu shortcuts and install directory (and if you want the end user to be able to relocate them).

Generally, you just include the lines in the script for every file/folder that must be installed.

Make sure that you populate any subdirectories, it won't automatically include the files from within subdirectories.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#5]
I've used Innosetup without the ISTool and muddled along okay. Seen some posts saying that ISTool was a good addition - now I'm not so sure will try it and stick to my mandrolic way of scripting the install script.