How to add DNS servers on a router with Telnet

Community Forums/General Help/How to add DNS servers on a router with Telnet

GfK(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have a router that doesn't allow you to change DNS servers. I did some digging and found out that there is a way to do it. I thought this might be handy info for anybody else wanting to do the same thing.

I wanted to add two new DNS servers to my router since the O2 Broadband ones are rubbish:

OpenDNS Primary: 208.67.222.222
OpenDNS Secondary: 208.67.220.220

I did this on an O2 Wireless Box II. Other routers may vary and I take no responsibility for any problems/damage arising from use/misuse of these instructions.

Step 1: Install Telnet.
1. Go into Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs >> Windows Components (This is called 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' in Vista).

2. Check "Telnet Client" and click "OK".

Step 2: Run Telnet.
1. Click on Start >> Run, and type "Telnet".

Step 3: Connect to your router.
1. Type "o 192.168.xxx.xxx" (the IP of your router). This will open a connection to your router.

2. You will be asked for your router username/password. The username is normally "Administrator" by default. The default password varies depending on the router.

Step 4: Add the new DNS servers.
1. Type "dns server route".

1a. (Optional) Type "list" to see all the current DNS servers.

2. Type "add" to add a new server.

3. Enter all the parameters as you are asked for them. The only ones you need are:

dns (the IP of the DNS server you want to add)
metric (0)
intf (the interface - for me this is O2_ADSL. It will vary depending on which ISP/router you have)

4. Repeat from Step 4.2 to add more DNS servers

5. VERY IMPORTANT! When you're done, type "saveall".

6. Type "reboot" to restart your router.

Done!