How do I make a video of my game to post onyoutube

Community Forums/General Help/How do I make a video of my game to post onyoutube

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just wondering what program I would need to take a video of my
game while its playing and post it on you-tube.

Thanks if you can answer this,

WERDNA

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
there are some 3rd party tools like FRAPS or HyperCam that can screen-capture motion video + sound at 30FPS, and save it as an AVI in the background while you play your game.

You can then upload the resulting video to a site like youtube.

Note that the real-time video capture and compression is very CPU intensive, so you need a pretty good PC to be able to keep up with the video capture and playing the game at the same time -- on a mediocre machine you're going to end up with very choppy video or sound.

andy_mc(Posted 2009) [#3]
I use camstudio for making my blitz3D youtube videos, it's not that smooth, but does record the whole screen. I made a short video showcasing blitz3D games using FRAPS, there's a trial version that will record up to 30 seconds of video and it's very smooth. Should work with all Blitz games.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#4]
I recommend using NCH Software's Debut. It can record your entire screen, or just a specific region, it's Pro, and it's free, Free, FREE!!!!! 8D

You also might like to edit the final cut of the recordings; again, use NCH. VideoPad is BRILLIANT, and free again. Finally, if you need to change the format of your video for any reason, NCH's Prism should see you right. :D

Info pages:

Debut
VideoPad
Prism

I'm a total fan of NCH; I've been using the free version of WavePad, their sound editor, for about two and a half years. Enjoy!

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#5]
I use fraps, and it seems to record things well enough on my machine (60fps ish), see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zYbTroac-0

Cheers
Charlie

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#6]
I personally dislike FRAPS because of the poor codec.

I would recommend Screen Virtuoso Pro for the cheap (i.e. free) option.

* Allows for export into other formats such as MPG
* Allows control over export criteria
* Utilises existing codecs installed on your system.
* Can tweak certain things such as Area of screen captured, whether or not mouse is visible etc.
* No annoying watermarks embedded on the video

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#7]
Ok, thanks everyone!

This should be all that I'll need in this direction!

I think I'll go with Adam's suggestion of NCH Software's Debut.
Free is kind of what I was looking for :D

WERDNA

GfK(Posted 2009) [#8]
there are some 3rd party tools like FRAPS or HyperCam that can screen-capture motion video + sound at 30FPS, and save it as an AVI in the background while you play your game.

You can then upload the resulting video to a site like youtube.
A word of caution here - a video captured with FRAPS (I don't know about Hypercam) is saved uncompressed for the sake of speed. So between capturing and uploading to youtube, you'll need to convert it. Unless you're happy to upload a relatively short clip of video that will almost certainly be half a gigabyte or more.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#9]
I'm afraid half a gigabyte is not an option!

I do have dial up so that limits the video sizes that I can upload.

Thanks for the quick save GFK, lol.

WERDNA

GfK(Posted 2009) [#10]
Dialup?! You live on the moon?

I live at the arse-end of nowhere and even I can get broadband (just!)

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#11]
Internet speed of 5 Kbps ^_^
I can't really watch videos anywhere because it takes me
half an hour at minimum to download the smallest ones :)

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#12]
LOL WERDNA lives in a lighthouse in the middle of the pacific ^^ XD

Matty(Posted 2009) [#13]
Alternatively -

if your game is capable of recording gameplay and then replaying at a later point in time then simply record a few sessions of gameplay then add into your replay feature the ability to save each frame (savebuffer command) before 'flip' to your harddrive in sequence. Note that you will have to adjust the way your timing works for things such as particle effects or other time based action/effects as this will be very slow. Once that is done use virtualdub to save it as an uncompressed vid (perfect quality) then windows movie maker to convert to .wmv (it's amazing how a 4gb video can compress down to ~10 MB depending upon the content some times).

Otherwise use something like snagit or fraps or whatever else was already suggested.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#14]
I think I'll go with Adam's suggestion of NCH Software's Debut.
Free is kind of what I was looking for :D

Heck yeah, you and me both; at 17, I have pretty much no budget whatsoever. XD Glad I could help!

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#15]
Matty: While that would probably give you the best image quality attainable, you're going to be hard-pressed to include sound with it and keep everything in sync

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#16]
Just tried Debut.
Its really easy to use, but can only record at a speed of 30 FPS :(
PLUS when it records, I get this flickering in the video.
Makes my video look like a tv with a bad connection!
Also the mouse is always visible, and that sucks, lol.
I'll try using one of the other options suggested.

WERDNA

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#17]
I just tried Screen Virtuoso Pro, and I still get the flickering in my videos :(
Every couple of seconds the whole screen flickers.
Could this be my program itself thats doing this?

Thanks if you can answer this,

WERDNA

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#18]
Try Hypercam2?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#19]
Its really easy to use, but can only record at a speed of 30 FPS :(

30 FPS is all you're going to find, since that's the default refresh rate of an NTSC TV signal... Pretty much all online video is playing at that rate (or slower)

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#20]
oh ok, lol.
30 FPS does work out nicely after all ^_^

Also I figured out what was wrong with debut and virtuoso.
It only flickered when I had my game running in full screen mode.
It was strange, but my game works just fine if I put it in Windowed
mode.

As to not being able to hide the mouse, I just make sure that its not
inside the window when I start recording :)

So thanks again for telling me about Debut Adam, Works great after
all, lol.

WERDNA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m59CH-V_mZE