Advice for E-mail Solution

Community Forums/General Help/Advice for E-mail Solution

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've come to a bit of an issue where I have to check so many e-mails at once. I have my personal e-mail, two website e-mails, a client's website's e-mail, school's e-mail, and a few old ones every once in a while.

I use mostly Yahoo e-mails. I wanted to forward my school e-mail to my personal e-mail, and the rest to a single account using filters to sort them when I check them. Yahoo wants to charge $20.00 for forwarding, and even if I did pay, I'd still have to do it for every Yahoo account I want forwarded/imported to Gmail or Windows Mail.

I just got a Gmail because I thought it offered special services, but it's all similar to what Windows Mail does already.

Is there anyway I can check my mail with one or two accounts for free?

JKP(Posted 2009) [#2]
You can access your Yahoo accounts from Outlook/Thunderbird via POP email for free. It might make things a bit easier and I expect you can also do the same for GMail. I think Hotmail charges for the service though.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#3]
When I tried POP3 with Gmail it said I could not access it unless I upgraded to Mail Plus.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#4]
through Outlook Express its quite easy to set up for Gmail following
these instructions

once thats working you can go a step further and make a folder off of local folders called GMAIL or whatever then set up a rule to send any mail from the gmail account to the GMAIL folder.

if you don't use Outlook Express then maybe this will help

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
I'd recommend Thunderbird. Its a long way off perfect, but its closer than Outlook is.

I use mine to gather emails from a couple of IMAP accounts and some POP3 ones. There's a plugin to get it to handle Hotmail. Never used gMail so I dunno about that.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#6]
I use my branded GMail account. It pulls mail from other pop3 accounts (I am not sure if normal GMail accounts do that, but I would think that they do).

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#7]
They do but there is a time lag... it only poles every half hour or something like that. Annoying if you are waiting for an important email.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#8]
With Gmail this works fine, but I cannot link my Yahoo accounts via POP3 or forwarding. I guess there is no solution for this other than making each a yahoo mail plus account?

My plan right now is for further client's e-mails to make them Gmails, as those can be forwarded to my Gmail. As for the ones that already exist I guess I just have to suck it up and check them all.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#9]
Maybe don't use so many different email addresses? :)

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#10]
Maybe don't use so many different email addresses? :)

Yeah I'm kicking myself now for that... should have just made e-mails that were my name so I could use them for more than one purpose. It also seems that they all have some reason that I can't close the account permanently... one is for AIM, one is for my domain name account, one is the back up for various online accounts.

I guess I've just dug myself into a hole, oh well :)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#11]
If you have your own domain name, you can make up a ton of email addresses and all alias them together to a single mailbox on the backend -- check a single address, and possible use filtering rules to split them into multiple folders.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#12]
I have a domain name, but I don't want everything to be @dungeonsoffear.com. Can I get an article of what you're talking about so I can investigate further?