Vista program startup slowdown

Community Forums/General Help/Vista program startup slowdown

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just recently all of my programs take an extra 5-10 secs to start up.
The BMax IDE which used to load pretty much instantly now takes around ten seconds, stuck on the loading progress bar, but it happens with pretty much all of my software.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? The only program that I have recently installed is IE8 and I regularly defragment my drives.

More of an annoyance than a problem but it would be nice to sort it out.

Thanks for any advice.
Jason.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
There are two things that slow Vista down horribly; The Indexing service, and the Superfetch Service.

If you don't search for files very often, then you can probably disable the indexing service with no ill effect. The Superfetch service did nothing for me except make my hard drive grind for 3-4 minutes at every startup, so that went, too.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#3]
Cheers for the tips GfK, I`ll see if that helps.

Jason.

*(Posted 2009) [#4]
Well after disabling Superfetch (I always disable indexing) it does run a bit faster :)

Also disabling Tablet support (I have a tablet but its for another pc) so thats not required.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
Ironically, SuperFetch is supposed to make your apps launch faster. :-?

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#6]
Its a double edged sword, turn off indexing and directory listing & searching becomes slow as hell instead (not such a big deal if you are not working with lots of files /explorer windows and you know where everything is).

Turning off prefetch though?... That is actually supposed to make it faster.

andy_mc(Posted 2009) [#7]
You could try using a cheap usb drive as a readyboost device too, just get pretty much any usb drive, stick it in the back of your PC, then vista will ask if you want to use it to speed up your computer, this can make big differences in opening and switching between programs.