My Acer Aspire 6930 Laptop Resloution Question?

Community Forums/General Help/My Acer Aspire 6930 Laptop Resloution Question?

Amon(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've been setting up my Acer Aspire 6930 Laptop. The native resolution is 1366x768.

The laptop though is a full HD laptop but I can find no way to increase the resolution. It's my first time using a Laptop like this so some help would be appreciated.

It states in the Manual that in Full HD mode the resolution can be changed to 1920x1080. How do I do this? There's something about custom resolutions but I don't know how to activate it.

Any help is appreciated!

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
Have you updated the video drivers?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
Technically, 1366 x 768 *is* HD... (>720P)

I have no idea if it applies to this particular laptop, but for some laptops the vendor give you the option between two different screens on the same laptop base model: either WXGA or WSXGA+ -- WXGA maxes out at 1366 x 768, while the other will do 1680x1050.
Dell gives you a choice on many of their latitude models, for example.

The screen itself will report back to the OS what resolutions it supports, which means that anything >1366x768 will automatically be hidden by windows for the internal screen if the panel itself is WXGA.
Note that you can still hook up an external monitor and get a higher resolution through it if your external display supports it.

Anyway, double-check your invoice and if it lists the display, make sure that it's not the WXGA one. If it is, then you're stuck.

If you screen IS better than that, there could be another setting you may need to change: Typically, laptops video adapters use shared video memory. You can typically configure in the BIOS how much to set aside for the video adapter. It's possible that the default setting may be too low for the system to handle the higher resolution: try bumping it up and see if any additional options appear.

Finally, it could also be that the display supports the resolution but does not properly report it to the OS -- the EDID identifying information can be somewhat quirky sometimes. By default windows will hide video modes that it thinks that the monitor cannot display. You may need to tell it to show you all resolutions anyway, and then try to pick the correct one. (If it doesn't work, don't touch anything but wait ~15 secs and windows will revert back to the last known good resolution)

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#4]
http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instructions-owner-manual/ACER/ASPIRE%206930-_E

andy_mc(Posted 2009) [#5]
I've got an ACER full HD laptop with the same resolution as yours. As far as I know, you can only get full HD resolution when outputing to a full HD TV, the screen on the laptop cannot handle anything over it's native resolution of 1366x768