GFX Cards

Community Forums/General Help/GFX Cards

Aussie(Posted 2009) [#1]
Gday everyone.
I have a Gigabyte motherboard with a Pentium 4 i can only use AGP gfx cards. Today i just bought a GeForce 6200Le 256MB Card. I am going to take it back as it is giving me heaps of problems. I think it could be a faulty card. I was wandering if anyone could recomend a decent GFX card for use with the AGP slots.
Cheers.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#2]
7600GT should do work quite nicely..

Aussie(Posted 2009) [#3]
Cool. Thanks for that :)

gosse(Posted 2009) [#4]
You could also get an ATI HD3850 for around 120$ and it would outperform the 7600GT by a substantial amount.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
I am going to take it back as it is giving me heaps of problems
Out of curiosity - what sort of problems?

Oh - and if you plan on running dual monitors from one card, forget the 7600GT. I've got one and it was hopeless.

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#6]
See if you can get a BFG overclocked 7900. They are about as fast as 8600s.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#7]
why not just grab a 9500 or 9600 they are pretty cheap at Frys and Microcenter right now. Just got a 9500GT for $70.00 bucks.

EDIT: well the one I have is PCIE, I just checked their websites and I guess they dont have an agp version of the card. sorry. What the other guys already mentioned was the heighest geforce model I could google for agp.

Aussie(Posted 2009) [#8]
Cheers Guys. I will have a look around at them.
@GFK the problems i am getting are. Colored lines across the screen, wierd symbols popping up, 2d apps & games lock up or gfx aren't drawn & in 3d apps & games it looks like all of the geometry in the objects are all screwed up & insideout then they lock up. Its great fun :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#9]
@GFK the problems i am getting are. Colored lines across the screen, wierd symbols popping up, 2d apps & games lock up or gfx aren't drawn & in 3d apps & games it looks like all of the geometry in the objects are all screwed up & insideout then they lock up. Its great fun :)
Ah, that old bean. Its a common problem with graphics cards and from what you've said, and using all of my PC-building and system diagnostics expertise, I've determined for you that it's what we in the trade call "buggered".

That's assuming that it isn't overheating due to the fan not spinning on it, if it has one, and that its seated in the AGP slot correctly.

Aussie(Posted 2009) [#10]
Its not overheating. It started as soon as it was installed & it's in the AGP slot correctly. Think she's stuffed.

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#11]
PowerColor plans to release new AGP cards if you wanna make a more significant upgrade: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20090512184249_PowerColor_Releases_AGP_Graphics_Card_With_ATI_Radeon_HD_4770_Chip.html

GfK(Posted 2009) [#12]
I'd strongly recommend a major upgrade, if you can stretch to it.

After i gave up on my 7600GT (and 2.1GHz Athlon XP3000+), I bought a new motherboard (with PCI-E), 2GB of RAM and an Athlon64 X2 5000+ cpu for under £100. Then I dropped on a 512MB PCI-E 8500GT for £19.

I couldn't really afford it at the time but I made other sacrifices in order to do it, and I'm glad I did. The upgrade emphasised just how creaky my old system had become.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#13]
Blimey. My sys is well below your old spec, Gfk. :P