2.5" external hard drive

Community Forums/General Help/2.5" external hard drive

GfK(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have a 2.5" IDE Western Digital Scorpio hard drive - 120GB - that I bought for my old laptop. It worked fine in that.

Since the laptop packed up entirely shortly afterwards, I bought a 2.5" enclosure to use it as an external drive. Problem is that it refuses to work as such.

When I plug it in, it works, but as soon as I try to read to/write from it, it 'disconnects' from the PC. The power light is still on, but the USB controller thinks its gone.

Is there any use at all for this drive? I'm using a Y-connector to draw power from two different USB ports - I've even connected each of the front USB ports to a separate header on the mainboard but it still won't play ball.

The enclosure was only a cheap one but its essentially just a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter with a box around it and a USB plug on the back, so I don't think its that.

Bin it?

big10p(Posted 2009) [#2]
Sounds to me like it can't draw enough power from USB. Not sure what you could do about that, though.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
Well, I think its a power issue, too.

I've just this minute taken the drive out of the enclosure, but left the IDE to USB adapter from the enclosure on it, mounted it in a 3.5" bay in my desktop PC, and plugged it into the internal USB port on my USB/PCI card.

Not ideal but it seems to be working perfectly.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#4]
Just find an external enclosure that has an external power source as well, then it will be portable again. Albeit, you will need to carry the power plug around...

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
I haven't been able to find any 2.5" enclosures with an external power supply, which is strange. Surely they exist?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#6]
Make your own power supply?

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#7]
Here are 3 Gfk...

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=EU-S10C&cat=CSE
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=QD125U&cat=CSE
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ST-2220&cat=CSE

GfK(Posted 2009) [#8]
Make your own power supply?
O_O You're talking to somebody who once plugged a molex connector into a hard drive with the power on, and was somewhat surprised when sparks were involved.

Me + electric = No.

Here are 3 Gfk...
Yep, but I'm in the UK. Aside from the logistics, I'd need it to work on a 240v main.

I can't find any of them via UK retailers. I tried searching eBay for "Qudi", and it said "oh, I can't find that. How about an Audi?". Which is a car.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#9]
Umm,,, Yeah, its probably a good idea you don't make your own, especially since you are on 240v over there :p

Have you looked at Amazon? They seem to have a lot to choose from:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+to+ide&x=0&y=0

GfK(Posted 2009) [#10]
Yep. The only one that supports 2.5" IDE and has external power, is a 3-in-1 type thing with no enclosure. its just a plug on a wire, which I don't fancy.

All of their 2.5" enclosures are self powered.

Why are there so many of these things if they're no use??

GfK(Posted 2009) [#11]
Actually, I've noticed that a few come with a USB power adapter and have a socket on the back for 5v DC.

If I were to source a third party mains adapter that could output 5v DC, that'd work, right? Or would I blow myself up again?

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#12]
Most 2.5" drives are for notebooks and use very little power, which is why most 2.5 drive enclosures do not have power supplies. I actually am not sure that your original problem is a power issue at all.

Are you plugging ti directly into a USB port on your PC, or some sort of USB hub? Many USB hubs do not provide the power from the USB port.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#13]
Well, the problem is this.

It does work in the rear ports. But to plug it into the rear ports, I have to drag my entire PC out. The y-cable that came with the enclosure is nowhere near long enough to be put anywhere useful, and even if it was, I'd have to find another cable for when I want to plug the drive into another PC.

The front ports are just generally more convenient.

I think I'll just throw it in my "stuff I don't know what else to do with" cupboard. :)

*(Posted 2009) [#14]
I would try the 5v DC power supply, if your gonna put it somewhere to gather dust you might as well try it and see if it works.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#15]
get an external USB2 hub with its own power supply, if power is the problem, this will sort it.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#16]
get an external USB2 hub with its own power supply, if power is the problem, this will sort it.
Genius!

[edit] Just ordered one. :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#17]
Thanks for the help, all.

The 4-port powered USB hub arrived this morning - only cost me £4.99 including postage. Drive is working perfectly now. :)