Given a torrent file, how to open its content?

Community Forums/General Help/Given a torrent file, how to open its content?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi all,

I tried to download modo tutorial. It is in torrent format.
How could I use the contents?

Thanks in advance

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
Oh dear..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)
http://techie-buzz.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-open-torrent-files.html

The 'torrent' file is a listing, if you will, of files defined for a package. Bit-torrent applications use that listing, and a tracker, to download the files from other people that have the real data.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thank you for your reply.

If I install Torrent-download software, would my pc be easily be attacked or become the seed of torrent for other pc?
(On TV, some people are said to install bt software and carelessly expose their personal data and files of pc. Is that true?)

plash(Posted 2009) [#4]
If I install Torrent-download software, would my pc be easily be attacked or become the seed of torrent for other pc?
Not at all, given that you stop torrents from seeding, they will not take upload space on your bandwidth.

The only way you can get 'attacked' is by downloading a non-trustworthy torrent, and keeping a seed up for other people will not get you attacked either.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#5]
I see.

However, I am downloading file from internet. Why there is upload speed (or upload space)? Am I uploading something that I don't know of ?

plash(Posted 2009) [#6]
However, I am downloading file from internet. Why there is upload speed (or upload space)? Am I uploading something that I don't know of ?
If you download data for a torrent, you must also upload data for the torrent. That's just how it works, if you don't give a decent upload ratio, you won't get much (if any) download rate from the other peers.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#7]
you must also upload data for the torrent

But what exactly the data are? Are they critical?
Or, are these data belong to part (seed) of the file that I am downloading?

plash(Posted 2009) [#8]
The only thing you upload is indeed the data of the file(s), which are indexed within the torrent itself.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#9]
You are sharing the file you are downloading. And you also share any other files you download, until you remove the torrent or remove the files from the directory they downloaded to.

plash(Posted 2009) [#10]
And you also share any other files you download, until you remove the torrent or remove the files from the directory they downloaded to.
Or if you just tell your bit-torrent application to stop seeding the torrent's files.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#11]
But what exactly the data are? Are they critical?

Of course, if you actually read the wikipedia page of link that Plash posted, it would probably answer most (if not all) of your questions.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#12]
I get it now! :D
Thanks a lot, Plash, TaskMaster, Brucey.