Anybody uses Quickbooks? Major slowdowns

Community Forums/General Help/Anybody uses Quickbooks? Major slowdowns

Anatoly(Posted 2009) [#1]
A friend of a friend called yesterday and asked to take a look at one of their company computers. They use Quickbooks to do accounting and a computer it's on sometimes "takes up to 25 minutes to open the database". Now I know nothing about Quickbooks, so I just automatically assume it's a large file and the condition of the machine they're running it on is not that great. So I'm gonna be doing my usual hard drive checking, cleaning up and what not.
But if somebody ran into a similar experience specifically with Quickbooks, can you please share any advice with me?

Perturbatio(Posted 2009) [#2]
We use it at work, it's not the highest performing application, but 25 minutes seems somewhat excessive.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#3]
My recommendation: switch to NCH software. I'm pretty sure they have accounting software. just go to http://www.nch.com.au/

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
Couple of things to check for:

- Computer may be dangerously low on memory
- Database may be very fragmented and/or corrupted. IIRC there is a database verification / repair utility built in to Quickbooks
- Database may be stored on a network share, and slow startup times can be an indication of network problems
- You may have an antivirus program with real-time checking crippling it. I've runb into this myself with McAfee, with the on-access scan enabled (=default) starting a particular program would take 30 minutes. With it disabled it took ~20 seconds. To fix, I had to exclude either the specific file types or the entire installation folder of the program in question from the on-access scanner. As a quick test, just try disabling your antivirus scanner temporarily and see if that makes the problem go away. If it does, *address the actual problem*, and don't just permanently disable antivirus.

Anatoly(Posted 2009) [#5]
Yeah, just got back. Fragmented file on the server plus a few network issues. That's pretty much it. The database itself is not all that big.

N(Posted 2009) [#6]
Quickbooks .. "takes up to 25 minutes to open the database"

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#7]
nothing but trouble when we used it for a small business i had a few years ago.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#8]
Disk fragmentation. Gotta love these 20-year old filesystems :-)