Now my START MENU'S messed up!!! >_<

Community Forums/General Help/Now my START MENU'S messed up!!! >_<

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#1]
Guess what: my lovely computer has developed another quirk.

Well, I say "developed," but honestly, it could've been there since the beginning; I'd never done this before. ANYWAY. Today, I had my Start menu open, and was browsing through the All Programs list. (This is an XP machine, btw.) I wanted to re-sort the list alphabetically, so I right-clicked on the list to bring up the Open/Explore//Delete/Rename//Sort by name/Properties menu.

Instead of the menu appearing, all that happened was that the main Start menu flickered. The O/E/D/R/S/P menu itself never appeared. I tried a reboot, but the same problem persisted. I even removed the custom skin I was using, going back to the default XP appearance settings; nothing worked.

It's not a huge issue in and of itself, but it prevents me from bringing up ANY right-click menus in the programs list. This means that if I want a shortcut for something on my desktop, I have to go the long way. I also can't re-sort the actual list of programs. This problem only occurs in the Start menu; everywhere else, right-clicks work fine, with or without the skin. Oh, and I have the My Documents folder in my Start menu as a menu instead of a link, for easy browsing; the right-clicks don't work there, either.

Any ideas?? @_@

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
Start > Control Panel > TaskBar and Start Menu > Start Menu tab > Start Menu/Customise > Enable Context Menus

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#3]
Well, I had a look where you suggested, but there was no option to "Enable Context Menus." However, in the same place, when I clicked "Enable Darg and Drop," things started working again! O_o

SO, thanks Gfk, for pointing me to the right spot, and THANK YOU Microsoft, for labeling everything so CLEARLY!!! @_@

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
Well, I had a look where you suggested, but there was no option to "Enable Context Menus." However, in the same place, when I clicked "Enable Darg and Drop," things started working again! O_o
Ah. Sorry! I'm on Vista, and Vista's option says "Enable context menus and drag/drop".

I knew that XP wasn't the same but I quoted the wrong bit. :D

Oh well, sorted now. Don't you just love how Windows periodically changes some settings all by itself, just to keep us on our toes? :/

plash(Posted 2009) [#5]
Don't you just love how Windows periodically changes some settings all by itself, just to keep us on our toes? :/
I've never had XP do such a thing to me.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#6]
Me either, until today. XD

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#7]
Don't you just love how Windows periodically changes some settings all by itself, just to keep us on our toes? :/
no.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#8]
Y'know, looking back I think I changed that setting myself, not realizing that "Drag and Drop" means "Context Menus" in XP-ese.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#9]
Weird, because I have found Drag & Drop to allow items to be taken from the start menu onto the desktop or m oved around on the start menu.

There IS a registry setting which enables/disables the context menu on the Taskbar/Start Button which might also be under:

HKLM or HKCU -

\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Perhaps soemhow these two are connected somewhere *shrugs*
Anyway, glad you got it sorted! Custom Skins caused me all sorts of crap in the past, which is a shame because there's some nice looking stuff out there!

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#10]
Well, if you ever decide to go back to skinning, I recommend browsing the deviantART's user-made skins & styles; there is some seriously AWESOME stuff there, like ChaNinja Style RC5. :D