Monitor Calibration Software

Community Forums/General Help/Monitor Calibration Software

Genexi2(Posted 2009) [#1]
Is there anything out there someone would recommend?

My monitor seems to have a case of highlights and shadows being too white/black for my own liking, and have been trying to fix it via adjusting my gamma, as well as the colour via my nVidia tools.

Basically, I'm getting annoyed in my games where a dark section is pretty much all the one shade of dark and I'm unable to make out anything at all unless I crank the gamma up in the game, and the same case being the opposite for brightly lit areas.

Bit of a bother when I have to keep adjusting my monitor when I swap to something like dark like Left4Dead after having adjusted it prior for a well-lit game like Mirror's Edge. (which is bad on my display, I've had a case where a white pipe I was running across blended into the white building I was running along the pipe to, and it's not a problem of the game)

On another note, is there a defacto standard for a colour profile btw? I typically just adjust the display until it looks 'right', but obvious everyone has their monitors set up differently. I plan to do some digital artwork down the road though, and figured it'd probably be a good idea to either get some knowledge on the subject to ensure my work is consistant across displays, or knowing what kind of display to invest into in the future to get proper results.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
Colorvision Spyder