Graphics card problems

Community Forums/General Help/Graphics card problems

JBR(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi, using BMax & miniB3D.

When running on Vista 64 bit I was getting random triangles & other effects.

So I did a fresh instal of Windows Xp 32 bit. Guess what? the exact same problems.

So, it must be my Graphics Card - Radeon HD 4850

Does anyone know of a utitlity that tests the graphics card completely ( DX & OpenGL )?

Thanks
Jim

JKP(Posted 2009) [#2]
Sounds like your drivers are bad or the card is overheating. Is this issue specific to Blitz programs and have you tried any commercial games or 3D programs?

You can use dxdiag.exe to check Direct3D settings (Start->Run->dxdiag) but it is unlikely to detect hardware issues.

There are a few programs for monitoring CPU temperature, such as ATITool (freeware) and Everest Ultimate. You might want to try one of those.

If you list your hardware/software configuration (drivers, PSU etc.) it might be easier for people to work out the problem. Is this a new PC or has the problem suddenly developed?

big10p(Posted 2009) [#3]
This is classic behaviour when the 3D hardware begins to fail (random polies etc.). Happened to a GFX card I had. Exchanged for a new one and all was fine again.

JBR(Posted 2009) [#4]
Hi, PC is about 4 months old from Dell.( i7 2.66MHz )

I have installed the Catalyst drivers 9.4 (the latest for Vista 64)

I have been playing COD4 & others with no problems.

The card is not overheating ... I manually turn the fan up just for games.

I only noticed the problem using miniB3D with openGL.

I'm going to recode a bit in B3D and see what happens.

I'll give ATITool a try.

Jim

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
The card is not overheating ...

Don't be so sure.

I' starting to see the same thing on my PC with my video card. At first it was just one game that was affected (Sam & Max showing errant polygons, although it didn't do it from the start), then as time went on it started affecting more and more games.

Portal is almost unplayable after a few minutes due to all the 'bonus' polygons and messed up colors (e.g. sometimes a specific texture turns bright magenta, or I see a bunch of brightly lit stuck pixels)

Not all 3D games are equally demanding on the graphics hardware, to temperatures may fluctuate (including the artifacts that they generate)

JBR(Posted 2009) [#6]
Hi, my DX games work fine. Does anyone know of OpenGL games or demos I could try. Ideally written using mini3D ?

Jim

JBR(Posted 2009) [#7]
Hi, same code works fine on B3D.

Shame, was just getting the hang of BMax.

Jim