Can't connect to my router's web admin?

Community Forums/General Help/Can't connect to my router's web admin?

mrtricks(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi, I'm on a macbook, and I have a Linksys WRT54GS router. I've just moved somewhere temporarily that is on Sky Broadband, using the Sky modem/router, but as the signal is so poor I've plugged my router into their router and I'm getting a much better signal from it.

BUT! Prior to that, I had researched using it as a wifi extender, and the tutorials called for resetting it to factory settings. This I did, doing a 30/30/30 hard reset. Now, it's fine, I can use it to connect, but it's gone back to being unsecured. And I can't connect to 192.168.1.1 in order to set the security. In Safari it just doesn't load the page - doesn't go to a page saying will not connect, just sticks.

I've googled it quite a bit, but haven't had much luck finding anything that'll work...

[edit] Oh, should say: I've tried connecting to 192.168.1.1 via the wifi, also via ethernet, also disconnecting my router from the other router, restarting both router and mac, and every other combo I can think of... I've also tried connecting to 192.168.0.1 but the login window appears to be for the Sky router... (when connected)

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#2]
You may find help looking and asking in the Cable Forum http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/

Sounds like doing the 30/30/30 has messed things up. Google around to see if any one has used telnet to re-enable the web interface or re-flashed the router, but I would ask the makers support service first as you can really screw it up.

mrtricks(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks, I'll have a good look through that.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#4]
I've just been trying to get a mac to connect to my wifi and read you can't always connect to the router with Safari for some reason. Try using Fire Fox instead.

mrtricks(Posted 2009) [#5]
Just tried, sadly no joy...

GfK(Posted 2009) [#6]
You sure you've got the right IP for the router? Mine's 192.168.1.254.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
check your network settings to find out what IP address is listed for your default gateway -- that should be the router.

If you can't find the default gateway listed anywhere, try doing a traceroute from a terminal window, e.g.: traceroute google.com
The first hop you see should be the IP address of your router.

try pulling up that address in a browser. Depending on the firmware, your router may not be at 192.168.1.1, but something different like 192.168.0.1 or something else altogether.

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#8]
Well if you were on Windows I would say open network connections and change your Local Area Connection TCP/IP properties to a set IP in the same expected range as the router.

ie something like:

192.168.1.30 (ip)
255.255.255.0 (subnet)

Then plug directly into the back of the router with an ethernet cable.

If you've got the router's address right, you will should get the login page. If not, then you may need to use an IP scanner and a bit of trial and error (although the router manual should def. list default IP address).

On a mac it would be something like - Sys prefs -> network -> ethernet -> config manually and then doing the same above

Just don't forget to turn DHCP back on when you are done as this change will only give you access to the router, not the net.

[edit] and I would definitely try all this isolated from the other router.