Vista SP2 - Where to find it?

Community Forums/General Help/Vista SP2 - Where to find it?

bytecode77(Posted 2009) [#1]
hi!

a year ago, after the release of SP1 i wasn't able to find it:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=76699

now that the service pack 2 for vista is done, i can't find it anywhere on microsoft.com
i need it in german language 32 and 64 bit.

if you would be so kind to help me out :)
thanks!

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#2]
It's not publicly available yet. Only for MSDN subscribers and some other group. It'll come soon.

bytecode77(Posted 2009) [#3]
my bro is an msdn subscriber. i'll ask him. thanks so far :)

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#4]
Apparently, it is finished, but RTM'd, which technically means, what Htbaa said, but I didnt realise it was released to MSDN subs! Mmmm

So just hold your jets! ;)

Dabz

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
I hope it doesn't take longer to install than the OS, like SP1 did.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#6]
lol

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
Its true! I love Vista, but the OS takes around 20 minutes to install, SP1 took 55 minutes. So its not even just a bit longer, its nearly 3x.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2009) [#8]
There was so much wrong with Vista, so it takes so long to install Vista SP1 simply because it's more of a Vista reinstall than an update.

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#9]
I got it from MSDN, can actually use Net 3.5SP1 and the 4E D&D character builder in Vista now :)

Matthew Smith(Posted 2009) [#10]
Just checked - SP2 went up just in the last 12 hours.

bytecode77(Posted 2009) [#11]
i just found out that my bro is msdn-aa subscriber and doesn't get to the sp2 yet either...

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#12]

i just found out that my bro is msdn-aa subscriber and doesn't get to the sp2 yet either...

I thought so...

/dabz

GfK(Posted 2009) [#13]
So..... when's this available to the masses?

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#14]
It's on technet but then again so is rc win7 so no need for vista , the xp viz is quite cool. Complete version of xp sp3 for free.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#15]
Windows 7 RC1 goes public on 5th May anyway and I'm not too bothered about seeing it again (until I can buy it).

Hoping I can get my hands on Vista SP2 as I'm planning to reinstall soon and don't fancy doing it, plus SP1, plus millions of subsequent updates.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#16]
For those who install SP2, I would love to hear how it works for you. Any speed increase, improvements, etc.

bytecode77(Posted 2009) [#17]
when is it going to be released to RTM anyway? i don't mean via windows update, i mean the "first wave" standalone package...

GfK(Posted 2009) [#18]
Its already RTM afaik.

Just been reading on the Microsoft website - apparently you can't install SP2 to a fresh Vista install! You have to install Vista (~25 minutes), then SP1 (~55 minutes), then SP2 (~Christ knows!)

Tempted to acquire a SP2 DVD so I don't have all the messing about, or just say 'Sod it' and leave it til Windows 7.

Wonder why you can't swap your existing Windows DVD for the latest one which includes all the updates/service packs, for a nominal fee instead of having to pay for a whole new version/licence (which I don't need or want)?

bytecode77(Posted 2009) [#19]
so where did you find the download of the SP2 on microsoft?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#20]
You have to install Vista (~25 minutes), then SP1 (~55 minutes), then SP2 (~Christ knows!)

Brilliant!

GfK(Posted 2009) [#21]
so where did you find the download of the SP2 on microsoft?
I didn't. RTM means Released To Manufacture, so any DVD version of Vista bought soon-ish will include SP2 with it. I guess it'll appear on the MS site for download and on MS Update soon.

Like installing a Vista service pack, I'm in no hurry.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#22]
You have to install Vista (~25 minutes), then SP1 (~55 minutes), then SP2 (~Christ knows!)
Whaaaat? WHY!?!

*(Posted 2009) [#23]
probably because they cant be arsed making it downloadable at a few gigabytes so the patches for SP1 are on SP1 and SP2 fixes some of the other errors ;)

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#24]
Whaaaat? WHY!?!

It's MS's plan to increase sales of MS Vista SP1/SP2 disks as they know people will get pi**ed off having to re-install Vista+SP1+SP2 all the time.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#25]
There's a faster way, more relaxing too: Install Win7 RC like I did.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#26]
SP2 is now available through Windows Update.

bytecode77(Posted 2009) [#27]
found it on the web :)
Grisu: i'd never install a beta or RC of an OS on my pc. only on a test computer / VM...