Powerpoint recovery? subversion???

Community Forums/General Help/Powerpoint recovery? subversion???

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi

I had a very important powerpoint for school and when I saved it one last time after I was done, I got a blue screen of death and the powerpoint was gone! gone! I cant find it anywhere because every program I had open, corrupted or deleted all the files that it had open which were mostly files I would have deleted anyway. So could subversion have saved a version of this file somewhere or do I have no chance of finding it?

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#2]
can'y you take a look in your autosave folder?

Cheers
Charlie

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
or the temp folder?

(start -> run -> %temp% )

DheDarkhCustard(Posted 2009) [#4]
search your whole system for the file name

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#5]
where is the autosave folder?

sorry I am no good when it comes to finding and memorizing directories but it reset my recent files thing to a month ago so I dont know if it would be there.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#6]
What does subversion has to do with it? Unless you actually had the file in a subversion repository you could checkout a previous version. Subversion doesn't do auto-commits.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#7]
I just dont know what subversion is or does. I just downloaded it so I could get max3d. and I knew it kept track of files or something.

So does anyone know where the autosave folder is for powerpoint. it appears as though it didnt autosave because there is no autosave folder.

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#8]
Office is pretty clever about recovering files these days - did it not offer to restore the file when you restarted Powerpoint?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
So does anyone know where the autosave folder is for powerpoint.

It varies between versions -- but you can find it under the options, because it's possible to manually specify a different folder.

that said, if PowerPoint did not tell you upon launch that it stopped unexpectedly and give you the option to recover your open file(s), chances are slim to none that you'll be able to dig anything up youself...

N(Posted 2009) [#10]
sorry I am no good when it comes to finding and memorizing directories but it reset my recent files thing to a month ago so I dont know if it would be there.
Why would it restore those to month-old results? If your installation has been restored to a month-old backup, you're probably not going to get it back. That's the only reason I could think of it being month-old results.

Your file is probably long-gone anyway. You should make hourly backups like I do.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#11]
>Your file is probably long-gone anyway.

yeah. I spent hours looking for it and researching how powerpoint works and where it might have saved any part of this file.. ah well. its gone