What's a good installer to use with Blitz?

Community Forums/General Help/What's a good installer to use with Blitz?

sswift(Posted 2009) [#1]
I need to make an installer for my game. I need something that will create directories and put an icon on the desktop. That sort of thing.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#2]
Meaning what, exactly? An installer to install Blitz? Or an installer to use for installing your programs made WITH Blitz?

If the latter, go for InnoSetup. Free, fast, and efficient.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2009) [#3]
Another vote for innoSetup from me.

sswift(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks! I'll check that out.

What would one use for Mac and Linux?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#5]
For mac, just create an app that can be dragged and dropped to the applications folder or wherever. Mac users are used also to get application in a dmg format, wich is an disk image file that contains the app folder. For Linux... long story, usually you'll have to create a deb or a rpm package, with the lists of dependent packages and... wel... deploying on linux is usually a nightmare.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#6]
"innosetup" gets my vote too. There is also a gui-wizardy thing that bolts on to it called "istool" which makes using inno extra easy.

As for linux just use an archive (tar/rar/zip) as most users know their way round and how to use the filesystem :) However, if its a complex app with loads of deps, libs, etc then a package like .deb or .rpm is always nice, but again, not essential.

Most small games etc come as just a normal archive file.

Blueapples(Posted 2009) [#7]
Another vote for Inno.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#8]
another vote for inno, istool sounds cool.

chi(Posted 2009) [#9]
i work with http://www.createinstall.com (free). nice and easy!

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#10]
Innosetup and ISTool is what we use for flow. Very easy with istool.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#11]
Inno Setup! It's ace!