Netbooks: Samsung NC-10 vs. NC-20

Community Forums/General Help/Netbooks: Samsung NC-10 vs. NC-20

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm considering getting a netbook for coding when I'm away from my desktop. I have it narrowed down to two:

Samsung NC-10
Samsung NC-20

I can't decide between them. The main difference is that the NC-10 uses the Intel Atom processor + Intel integrated graphics, and the NC-20 uses VIA chipsets. I've never used VIA before, and I don't know what to expect with them, even though it looks like it has better specs. Also, the NC-20 has a CPU clock speed of 1.3GHz, while the NC-10 has a CPU speed of 1.6GHz. Also, the NC-20 has an 800MHz FSB compared to the NC-10's 533MHz FSB, but I'm not sure if that evens it out or not. (The $100 difference doesn't really matter.).

I'm mainly using Visual Studio 2008 with XNA, and Blitz3D/BlitzMax. Blitz shouldn't be a problem with it's DX7 requirements, and both netbooks say they support Shader Model 2.0 so XNA should at least compile on it. I'm not looking to play Crysis on it or anything - I just need to write code and at least be able to test my games on it (even though it would probably only be at 3 FPS).

I'm in the US, and for whatever reason Samsung doesn't seem to be marketing or even selling them here (which is dumb, since these two blow every other netbook I've seen clear out of the water). Will I have any problems ordering one from NewEgg, or is there a better place to get one?

One other thing. I know NVidia has been developing some GPUs for Netbooks that run crazy fast yet use little power, but I haven't heard when anything running it will be coming out. If I get one of these now will I regret it in 3 months (more so than is usual with electronics, that is)?

Any suggestions?

Dreamora(Posted 2009) [#2]
For XNA at best the NC-20 is an option.
The NC-10 has a GMA gpu which has no hardware vertex unit required for XNA commonly. GMAs emulate that through cpu and that might not be supported by xna or your specific use

puki(Posted 2009) [#3]
In simple terms, the NC20 supercedes the NC10 and is the better of the two.

However, more Sammys are on the way. This is our forum for the NC range: http://www.sammynetbook.com/news.php

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks. Very cool site! I like Samsung products too. ;-)
I've been doing some more research and nVidia's ION platform looks so awesome. I'm going to wait a couple months and see what comes out.

...The only problem is that then Vista will be put on everything. :-(

Dreamora(Posted 2009) [#5]
Nope
By then, the Netwooks likely will have a Windows 7 based spinoff actually or a custom intermediate version of Vista + Win7

Only one manufacturer is that dead stupid to put vista on a netbook, thats hp.
A few friends of mine have that useless 2133 trash and the first thing they had to do was install XP manually as the performance can not even be called "bad", its just click wait - cook a meal - get back and hope it has done what you asked it for.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#6]
By then, the Netwooks likely will have a Windows 7 based spinoff actually or a custom intermediate version of Vista + Win7

Not necessarily: Microsoft just confirmed that they will allow downgrade rights from Windows 7 to both vista and XP, so there is nothing stopping manufacturers from continuing to sell XP versions as long as there is a demand... (and there probably will be)

More info: http://www.crn.com/software/216403001

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#7]
The downside of the ion platform is its a laptop gpu on a board with the atom, yes its more powerful but the battery life will be alot less and the battery life is one of the reasons for netbooks in the first place.

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#8]
The downside of the ion platform is its a laptop gpu on a board with the atom, yes its more powerful but the battery life will be alot less and the battery life is one of the reasons for netbooks in the first place.

CPU Mag has a four page article on the ION platform in this month's issue, and it answered a lot of questions. The biggest one is battery life - in tests it was only about 12% less than current Atom-based platforms; in their chart, that would mean that with a 3 cell batter a current Atom chipset would get 3 hours, and ION would get 2 hours and 40 minutes. (and Samsung has 6 cell batteries!)

So, question answered! I'm definitely waiting for ION. Netbooks using it should start appearing in the middle of this year, so hopefully Samsung will get on board with it!

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#9]
good news