How to choose a graphics card for Blitz3D?

Community Forums/General Help/How to choose a graphics card for Blitz3D?

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

Blitz3d is a DX7 engine. What is the key criterion for him to choose a graphics card ?

JP

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
DX7 compatibility?

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#3]
Yes.
I mean, what is more important: the bp memory, gpu speed?
How to choose the fastest?
JP

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#4]
Ah, that will likely come down to what your motherboard & power supply can support. FWIW, most graphics cards made in the past five years should run B3D with little problems.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
Get anything that isn't more than 5 years old, and isn't Intel.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#6]
Depending upon what you want to do with blitz3d even Intel onboard graphics can be fine, I've played blitz3d games with others at work on the office pcs, all with onboard graphics and it ran fine. Obviously there are some blitz3d games that are more taxing in their requirements but then....what are you wanting to run on the machine(s).

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
How to choose the fastest?

That's a bit tricky since pretty much all semi-recent video adapters are optimized for DirectX 9 or 10, often at the expense of 2D and DirectX 7 performance.
Any benchmarks you'll find probably focus on recent DX9 games as well.

That said: Here are some comparisons for a large number of recent video adapters that may be helpful to you to see an overall difference between the cards -- Which may or may not translate to DX7.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/3DMark06-v1.1.0-3DMark-Score,794.html

'most' cards can deal with DX7 just fine though.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#8]
Hmm, odd. I thought the point of creating games, was to make sure they ran on a wide variety of hardware. If your using a super fast graphics card for dev, then, you'll likely run into problems when testing it on lower machines i reckon.

If your not, then as above :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#9]
Hmm, odd. I thought the point of creating games, was to make sure they ran on a wide variety of hardware. If your using a super fast graphics card for dev, then, you'll likely run into problems when testing it on lower machines i reckon.
I code on decent spec PCs, and test on a crap one.

You should only use a low spec PC for coding if you like your development time to be an ordeal.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#10]
B3d works best on a direct x7 graphics card for a start the FSAA works. but almost nobody has those cards so theres no point, plus the perfomance boost of new cards far out weighs the FSAA, plus having alot more video ram for example is a big boost. The main overhead i ran into was the small number of animated meshes b3d can handle. but as animated meshes are done on the processor graphics card choice will make little difference.

Id say nvidia have the edge in the mid range at the moment. i dont see the point of buying anything over a 9600gt at the monent. you can always buy cutting edge but ive not got the money to waste on that.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#11]
Well your created/sold games ratio to mine is infinite, so I ain't arguing :o)