How to install Ubuntu

Community Forums/General Help/How to install Ubuntu

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have a computer that needs to have an os installed on it, and I chose linux. so i downloaded the .iso file, and made a disc. i put it in the disc drive on my computer, and it loads up fine. but when i click install ubuntu, it gives me a text interface and allows me to input commands. but it doesn't tell me what to do next.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
Have a look here.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#3]
thank you for the link, i looked into all the stuff on the page but nothing matched what i get. i get a screen that asks for a command using "sudo", like "sudo abrowser". it works fine on my other comp.

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#4]
Perhaps you should state where you downloaded your iso image, sounds like you may have got the server version which does not I would guess support a mouse interface.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#5]
no, i made sure it was the desktop version. i got it from the ubuntu site. it doesn't give me the strange screen on my main computer. the other computer may just be dead, i can't get windows to install either. i'm also going to try a different flavor of linux as well.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#6]
Oh right, it could be several problems. It may not be able to read the hard drive and so boots to ram hence text mode. I would check to see if the hard drive used space is full with a partition manager.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#7]
do you know of one that runs from a disk? the hardrive is pretty bad off, has a virus i found out. [edit] could i install it from a usb drive? if so how do you set that up? do you just put the .iso file on the usb drive?

Pongo(Posted 2009) [#8]
The CD should be a live CD, which means you can boot to the OS from the CD.

Have you been able to do that? You may need to set your bios so you can boot from a CD.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#9]
i can boot from the cd but it boots to ram i guess, as it stores its info in the ram and this comp doesn't have much ram. i s'pose that booting from a thumbdrive would have the same problem. also i tried to install xubuntu as its smaller, but that won't work even on my good computer. might be a bad burn or a bad download, i don't know.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#10]
Ok, if you don't have a partition manager handy try this.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#11]
hey thanks, i will try that.