Advice for a good webcam

Community Forums/General Help/Advice for a good webcam

semar(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi Blitzer !

I would like to use a webcam to communicate with family and friends.

Could you suggest me a good and affordable model ?

In addition, which software should I best use with ? I found Skype interesting - what are your suggestions in regards ?

Thanks in advance,
Sergio.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
there are quite a few decent webcams -- in general, look for one that supports at least 1.3 MPixels, and 30 fps. the lower resolution / slower FPS ones are noticably worse.

I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 myself, which has been working great with Skype. (Skype dynamically adjusts the camera/sound quality to make the most out of your internet connection without dropping packets)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#3]
I find that both the Eyetoy and the X360 cameras give very good results, in terms of handling low lighting conditions and giving decent frame rates. Installing the drivers can be a little tricky (Eyetoy drivers have to be Googled with the model number and X360 has to install via Windows Update, and sometimes fails, but can be worked around).

If you don't go for either of those, DON'T buy a dirt-cheap webcam, as they're often terrible for low-light and frame rate.

semar(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks for the advice guys,
Sergio.

stayne(Posted 2009) [#5]
The LifeCam series from M$ is great and integrates well with Windows Live Messenger. I use the VX-6000:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/digitalcommunication/productdetails.aspx?pid=002