Recommendations for an email client

Community Forums/General Help/Recommendations for an email client

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi there. I have been using Outlook Express for quite a while, but I have always really been aware it isn't exactly safe. Now i use my emails for more important stuff, can anyone recommend a good, safe email client. I heard Thunderbird is supposed to be ok?

*(Posted 2009) [#2]
Yup I use Thunderbird and it does everything I need :)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#3]

plash(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thunderbird hands down.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
I use Thunderbird; don't especially like it but its better than Outlook.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#6]
What don't you like about it.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
Same as Firefox, really. I don't like how most of its options are tucked away in that god-awful config thing, and there's no description of what the majority of them actually do. Case in point: When you reply to an email, and you want the original email BELOW your reply, not above it (which Thunderbird defaults to).

Also it has no direct support for signatures, unless you're prepared to fart about creating them yourself in HTML, then digging through 200 folders to make sure they're in the right place.

Thunderbird says to me "Open source: Because nobody can be arsed to do the job properly".

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#8]
I use Windows Live Mail... Good enough for me! :)

Dabz

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#9]
Put me down for a vote against Thunderbird. Initial version was nice, but then they bought Eudora and backported much of it for Thunderbird.

Courier is great, as is The Bat! and even Reach-A-Mail Pro (although it tends to be slow). The Bat! is probably the best out of the three.

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#10]
When you reply to an email, and you want the original email BELOW your reply, not above it (which Thunderbird defaults to).

Tools -> Account Settings -> Composition & Addressing

GfK(Posted 2009) [#11]
See, all the time I've used Thunderbird (a few years), I've never seen that. Maybe it wasn't there when I first started using it.

Anyway, I stand by my comments about the config thing.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#12]
I'm mainly looking for security really :o)

I'll giev Thunderbird and The Bat a wee shot.

Cheers guys!

Barnabius(Posted 2009) [#13]
Try Pocomail or Barca or Barca Pro. Excellent clients. Not free but worth every penny.

www.pocosystems.com

Barney

Stu_ovine(Posted 2009) [#14]
Thunderbird here .. although there are some serious bugs with IMAP (like your offline database that never compacts)

POP3 its fine for.

N(Posted 2009) [#15]
I'd recommend Outlook 2007 for Windows (I personally like it, at least), but Thunderbird is the best free option out there for Windows.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#16]
Thanks again guys.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#17]
We're migrating over to Outlook at work soon, from Novell GroupWise. Gulp. Wish us luck.