softare displaying CPU tempearature?

Community Forums/General Help/softare displaying CPU tempearature?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi all,

Are there any free softwares showing CPU temperature?
And what is the normal range of temperature of a CPU?

Thanks in advance

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#2]
It really depends on your CPU. The old athlon processors would go up to 50 Deg sometimes. Anything over that would be pushing it i reckon.

It also depends on if your motherboard has the tech required to measure the heat. Most do though.

You can access the CPU temp from the BIOS too.

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#3]
I use an app called Abit ( not sure if it's motherboard specific ). My Intel Core2 duo 2.3mhz runs at about 30 degs. My old P4 used to run at 70+ degrees which apparently is normal and would require liquid nitrogen to lower.

Stevie

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
There are a bunch of programs that can read the temperature, but unfortunately there is no real universal method to retrieve the information so any program needs to be specifically aware of your motherboard make and model to be able to read the info.

First place to check would be your motherboard manufacturer, they often have tools for download that will tell you the temperatures (sometimes combined with software overclocking functionality -- even if you don't overclock you can still see the temperatures and voltages)

I used to use a program called MBM 5 (Motherboard Monitor) but it has since been discontinued and therefore doesn't have the necessary info to work with newer motherboards...

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#5]
70 Deg C? Jesus...

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#6]
Try SIW, under the Hardware -> Sensors section of the program. (It's free for non-professional uses and displays tons of system information.)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
Ross C: 70C sounds like a lot, but then consider that a lot of GPU's run even hotter... 85C isn't that uncommon under load.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#8]
my processor runs at about 78-84c according to the "siw" thing posted above. it might be overclocked or this is just its normal speed and it is usually underclocked. its a laptop with different power schemes. if i put it in powersaver mode, it runs at a crawl but is really cool compared to the high performance mode which runs at the 80c temps.

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2009) [#9]
As BlitzSupport says SIW very nice system info tool.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#10]
I use PC Wizard 2006 works very well..