Ubuntu arrgghrggg!!

Community Forums/General Help/Ubuntu arrgghrggg!!

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#1]
Well, hello everyone, the news i come to you with is grave...my computer might be...dead!

jk jk :)

well actually it might be. I tried installing Ubuntu on my xp alongside xp professional. it all worked out great. ubuntu was beatiful and all... until i restarted my computer. Suddenly is was bombarded with that horrible white on black text saying "Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup." so as you can imagine, i hit F1. nothing happened. Did that for about two hours. Called tech support and the guy tells me i need a new hard drive and that my only hope for all my old files is some third party person to salvage what is left of them. i almost gave up when it hit me...I've got all me old buddies at the good old blitz General Help forum. So here I am. Guys do your thing. Please help me. Neither Xp Professional nor Ubuntu is booting up. Do any of you know what i can do to save me beautiful computer? anyone? anyone at all?

thanks in advance guys!

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
Use your XP boot disc and use the fix MBR option?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
What GaryV said.

If that doesn't work, try launching the XP boot CD to initiate a re-install. When (if?) it finds your existing windows install, choose to repair it. There's a chance that you may need to reinstall some of your apps and you'd probably need to redownload a bunch of windows security fixes, but there's a good chance that you'll be able to see your old data files.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#4]
You can also use a Linux LiveCD (if you have one) to boot from CD, and see if the files are corrupted, or just the boot sector is. If your files are visible, then you can try to copy them (over a network to another computer?) before writing anything to the disk.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#5]
One possibility is the hard drive is full, meaning there's not enough space left for the boot operation. If you have some disk partitioning software run that and check the 'used space'.

If that's the problem then you need to do a disc recovery which I recommend you leave to your local computer centre.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#6]
Ubuntu install CD can be used as a stand alone Ubuntu enviroment. Boot from there and try to mount your HDD partitions.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#7]
Does indeed sounds like a missing MBR. I'm surprised those guys at tech support even dare to call themselves tech support with just suggesting you need to replace your hdd...

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#8]
thanks everyone, ill get to trying your suggestions soon!

Ubuntu install CD can be used as a stand alone Ubuntu enviroment. Boot from there and try to mount your HDD partitions.

i tried doing this, but my computer wouldn't even boot that up.

thanks again! :)

markcw(Posted 2009) [#9]
Sounds like the hard disc is full, you may be able to boot a small partition manager into RAM.