AVG 8.5

Community Forums/General Help/AVG 8.5

big10p(Posted 2009) [#1]
I see it's now available. Anyone tried it?

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
I don't think I want to..

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#3]
I just got a message that support for 7.x is about to be withdrawn. Time for Nod32 methinks.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#4]
You must have service pack 2 for XP or it won't install.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#5]
I have XP and SP3.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#6]
You must have service pack 2 for XP or it won't install.

It's near suicide to connect to the internet with a windows machine that isn't fully patched in the first place, so that shouldn't be too much of a limitation.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
Seriously. It's not. I got a good firewall, and don't use IE, and don't frequent any dodgy sites.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#8]
I'll give it a try. Surely to God it can't be any worse than 8.0.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
Seriously. It's not. I got a good firewall, and don't use IE, and don't frequent any dodgy sites.

While that certainly mitigates things, it still doesn't mean that you're safe -- for example, there have been multiple cases of mainstream banner-ad companies accidentally pushing bannerad images that consisted out of malformed JPEGS that triggered a buffer overflow in Windows' image built-in rendering system, leading to arbitrary code execution.

Just because you only visit cnn.com doesn't mean that your machine can't pick up some extra baggage along the way.

As far as AVG goes: The only 'problem' I've ever had with version 8.0 Free is that for a while it kept giving promotional banners in Italian instead of English in its control panel. Other than that, no issues at all. (Although I did NOT install the optional linkscanner module, no idea if that one is problematic or not, but just didn't feel like it pre-fetching links all over the internet that I likely had no intention of visiting in the first place)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#10]
My biggest problem with 8.0, was that 90% of the time, I get a daily pop-up message saying it can't connect to the update server. You used to get that with AVG6 as well but it was fine in AVG7. After this connection failure, it sticks a red warning thing on the system tray - like its MY fault and MY responsibility to do something about it. If they've gone back to a hamster-powered update server, what am I supposed to do?

Another thing - it once (quite recently) got stuck in an update/reboot loop and I had to uninstall and reinstall the whole application to fix it.

Anyhoo, hopefully 8.5 will be a bit more solid.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#11]
I think tht was to do with AVG trying to connect, before windows had initialised the network connections/internet connection, therefore AVG thinking that you didn't have an internet connection.

Regarding service pack 2. I have been meaning to upgrade actually, but i have to phone up MS, because my product key is invalid. Prolly been pirated or something, because i don't change my hardware much...