Screen Grabbing Software

Community Forums/General Help/Screen Grabbing Software

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#1]
Can anyone recommend a good screen grabbing tool that will allow me to record anything from game footage to desktop footage?

I have tried Fraps which works well with the games part but cannot capture from my desktop. CamStudio seems pretty good but a little slow but does do both the tasks that I need. Camtasia looks nice but it`s far too expensive so I will not even try that.

Have I missed any good (preferably free or cheapish) products?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jason.

BTW, I know that this topic has been asked before but I`m looking for a more up to date list so thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#2]
Are you talking a video capturing or plain screenshot?

For video Hypercam2 isn't bad. It's free but puts "hypercam 2" in the corner of your video. It's not too big of a deal though.

For a screenshot, lightscreen is pretty good, and its on Portableapps.com so you can run it on a pen drive http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/lightscreen_portable

markcw(Posted 2009) [#3]
Camstudio has no frame delay if you record a small area, for me sizes below 640x480 resolution were ok.

I remember looking for a good free video capture tool a while ago and Camstudio was the only good one I found.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#4]
@Sauer : Video capture.

@markcw : Thanks I have tried it but it causes a few problems on my system.

Anyone tried the latest beta of CamStudio yet?

Also to anyone who owns Camtasia, how good is it, is it worth the money?

Jason.