Anyone recommend a good graphics tablet?

Community Forums/General Help/Anyone recommend a good graphics tablet?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#1]
Has anyone any experience of the following graphics tablets, I am considering buying one
as a birthday present, ideally the budget is less than a hundred pounds. Or indeed if anyone
could recommend a brand of a graphics tablet I'd appreciate it.....

Aiptek Vista 600U Slim Tablet
Aiptek Media Tablet 10000U 9" x 5.5" with Corel Draw Essential 3
Wacom Bamboo Graphic Tablet MTE-450

If anyone has any experience of tablets in this price bracket I would greatly appreciate
any advice,

thanks in advance - BP.

Pongo(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hands down, go with the Wacom.

To be honest, I don't have any knowledge of the other tablets, but I know Wacom well. As far as I am concerned it is the only one worth considering.

I've never really seen positive comments about anything non-Wacom.

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#3]
My brother recommends the Wacom Bamboo

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#4]
thanks folks, wacom it is then.....

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#5]
The only choice is wacom ive used lots of other tablets and they are all bad in one way or another and wacom is always supported.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#6]
I have, Aiptek Media Tablet 14000U and a Wacom Graphire 4, I bought the Aiptek for using with my laptop, I will never buy Wacom again. These are every bit as good but without the highprice tag. Works smooth as silk. Cost me about £90, same model, same spec, Wacom is over £400.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#7]
The Aiptek does look very good. What are they like for spare tips etc

MikeHart(Posted 2009) [#8]
Wacom all the way. Precise and it simply WORKS! I would definately spend more cash on it. And don't forget, they usually come with nice software.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#9]
My Aiptek came with three spare tips(I am on my second but there's still plenty wear on the original), the packaging(Case within a case) and the overall quality was great. Pressure sensitivity is quite accurate as is the resolution. The pen takes a small battery which I am still using a year later, which is quite a pleasant surprise. If I had to criticise is, I would have liked a longer usb lead ans I had a little trouble getting the spinning dials working with Illustrator but overall its a pleasure to use and at this price, your not worried about dropping it! :P

Robert Cummings(Posted 2009) [#10]
Had my wacom for 5 years, great thing. I've bashed it about, coffee etc, great stuff.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#11]
One rule when buying a graphics tablet: get a Wacom.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#12]
I use a large Wacom Intuos and a smaller Wacom Bamboo. I would say go with the Bamboo, it will be more than enough for what you need and it is a good price too. Great little tablet. Also works well with Vista.

Jason.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#13]
Hmm, sounds like both the aiptek and the bamboo get good reports.

Mustang(Posted 2009) [#14]
Wacom.

MikeHart(Posted 2009) [#15]
My Aiptek came with three spare tips(I am on my second but there's still plenty wear on the original), the packaging(Case within a case) and the overall quality was great. Pressure sensitivity is quite accurate as is the resolution. The pen takes a small battery which I am still using a year later, which is quite a pleasant surprise. If I had to criticise is, I would have liked a longer usb lead ans I had a little trouble getting the spinning dials working with Illustrator but overall its a pleasure to use and at this price, your not worried about dropping it! :P

Cheers,
Ian Thompson

A wacom pen doesn't need a battery, so it is very lite. They have several other tools like airbrushes and stuff like that. So far and within 4 yrs I never had to exchange the tip and it doesn't look like it will have to be. Very stable.

MikeHart(Posted 2009) [#16]
And before I forget, the driver support on Windows and OSX is great too.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#17]
i suggest Wacom Bamboo. its inexpensive, high quality, and I have it so i dont really see why not to buy it. :)

Torrente(Posted 2009) [#18]
I have a Wacom Bamboo, and it's excellent. I would definitely suggest it.

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#19]
Wacom all the way. I've had my wacom tablet for 15 years now. Unfortunately being a serial one and no longer supported it only works on XP.

I'd not use anything but a Wacom, if like me you can't afford the high prices, there are bargains to be had on ebay and craigslist.

Intuos 3 has pressure, tilt and twist. I'll be grabbing a 6x8 soon.

Jason W.(Posted 2009) [#20]
Here is a link to get a the watcom tablet for $45.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/19447/Wacom-Bamboo-Digitizing-Pen-Tablet-with-Pen-45

Jason

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#21]
AdrianT:

What you'd be wanting is one of these:

Voila! 15yr old Wacom lurve again!

(unless you'd like an excuse to get a shiny new one, in which case ignore me ;o) )

simonh(Posted 2009) [#22]
The Wacom Intuos 4 has been released during the past couple of days - features OLED displays for the keys and a wheel rather than a touch strip. The wheel should be perfect for using CS4's rotate canvas feature.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#23]
intuos are cool.I had my graphire for about 6 years too

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#24]
Wacom works on other OSs too.

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#25]
Any one own/use something like a Wacom PL-900 LCD tablet as I'm looking at buying something like this in a few months.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#26]
I've had my wacom tablet for 15 years now.

What the... 15 YEARS?! Wow, you've got my interest; what's IN that thing???