Skype?

Community Forums/General Help/Skype?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi all,

1. Did anyone use skype before?
2. How is it charged?
3. Do we need any special equipment to use it?
4. Is it much cheaper to make a phone call from USA to China, or vice versa?

Thanks in advance

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
1. Yes.
2. Never payed for the service before..
3. Just a headset.
4. I believe it is.

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#3]
1. Yep
2. Calling other skype users s free, but to call landline or mobile phones you buy credit in advance, then they charge you per minute depending on which country/network the number you're calling is in.
3. Just a microphone.
4. Going by this page, it looks like it's cheaper to call China by about 50%

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#4]
Skype is great, its by far the best free webcam software.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thank you for your info., Plash, Warpy and Sauer

plash(Posted 2009) [#6]
Be advised. Google Voice is a similar service with free calls within the States and will have much cheaper rates internationally than Skype does (probably better cross-platform support too).

https://www.google.com/voice/about

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
"Google Voice: Coming soon"

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#8]
Thank you, Plash and xlsior.

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#9]
Missus and I are using skype all the time now, no calls on the phone any more. She uses it to call her family in China every week. By doing this, it has cut our telecommunication expenses to virtually nothing.

BTW, missus had a mobile phone in China that she could use all through Guangzhou which is a massive city. The only difference was that it was billed as a landline and she was only charged local call rates regardless of who she called from it, as long as they were also in Guangzhou. Here, in Oz we can't call anything/anywhere with a mobile without being charged wallet-raping rates. Just goes to show how much we're getting ripped off. I use my mobile to send/receive messages now, that's it.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#10]
Thank you for your info., kenshin.