Protean IDE questions.

Community Forums/General Help/Protean IDE questions.

Pongo(Posted 2009) [#1]
Edit: Nevermind. I think I'm going to go with IDEaL instead.

Original post below:
I'm trying to switch over to using the Protean IDE.

I've been using Visual Blitz forever, but have had some issues with it recently, so I want to give Protean a try.

A few quick questions for anyone that has used Protean.

1. Is there a way to remove the boxes around functions when they are collapsed? I've been able to change the color, but the box is always there.

2. How do I turn on the line numbers?

3. If I have multiple files open and hit F5 to compile, it cycles through all the open files before compiling the currently open one. Is it compiling everything? how can I adjust this behavior?

Thanks

Dreamora(Posted 2009) [#2]
3. No, it saves all open ones, so close those you don't need.
You can not alter that, thats common expected behavior for IDEs

Hotcakes(Posted 2009) [#3]
Protean was ace for its time but it's dead now and probably doesn't even behave as expected with the latest .Net releases...

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#4]
I tried using protean the other week or so, and it would crash and shut down. Couldn't do a thing with it.

Pongo(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thanks.

I've gone with IDeal now anyways. It looks to do everything that Visual Blitz did for me including a few new features I know I will use. Protean looks packed with features, but tons of stuff I will never use and a bit slow to boot up too.

For some reason, my Visual Blitz was acting up on my Macbook Pro, so when I would compile something I would end up with a second instance of the IDE running, and it would keep doing this until I had no more memory. I've never had this problem on any other computer with it, but I figured it was time to say goodbye.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#6]
Hmm, interesting people are experiencing crashes with Protean, runs fine here and is my IDE of choice. Then again, suppose you use what you are most accustomed to. Yes, its a little slow to boot, but it does have a lot of functionality - I think the embedded ASCII table is great for quick referencing.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#7]
I used Protean for my first two games, it was cool. But it's not that good for Bmax right? There's better out there with more support (and ongoing support)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#8]
yeah, I use Protean just for BLitz3D.