weird USB behaviour

Community Forums/General Help/weird USB behaviour

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#1]
..well..when i turn on computer and just after XP is up and running, 3-4 minutes after that my keyboard and mouse freeze, or better say every single USB port exist, so I have to turn off computer, turn on and then same thing again happen, until I turn off power supply switch, wait for a while, and then turn on power supply then computer as usual, and bloody thing after that working...anyone has some reasonable explanation for this?? Its really making me crazy..

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#2]
frazzled usb controller?
use ps2 kb/mouse and get a pci 4 port card or a new mobo

big10p(Posted 2009) [#3]
Have you checked in Device Manager to see if your USB controller is reported to be working correctly? Installed new hardware recently? Possibly an IRQ conflict. Also, take a look in Event Viewer (Control Panel->Admin Tools) to see if any events caused an error.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#4]
I get this when i use my remote hardware control device. it switches 240v about 3 foot away from the computer, and every now and again it knocks the USB controller offline. it comes back up, but its still frustrating because the device is USB controlled so it knocks itself offline.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#5]
..after I uncheck 'Allow computer to turn off this device to save power' at USB Root HUB, it seems that problem disappear, but again, im wondering why system decided to turn if off(if it did) at begining since none of USB ports cross over milliamps limit actually, only 2 of them are used...for keyboard and mouse and sometimes third one for USB HD, but its only when I need to backup my data..