Fax modem and BT Calling Plans Uk Related?

Community Forums/General Help/Fax modem and BT Calling Plans Uk Related?

Amon(Posted 2009) [#1]
There's something I've been wondering and I'd like to know if anyone has an answer to it.

I have a BT line and I'm on an unlimited calling plan for £16 per month including line rental. I get free calls to 01,02,03,0845 and 0870 numbers 24/7. The 0845/0870 plan covers max 150 calls or 1000 minutes per month maxmimum. After that there is the standard charge.

Now I have one of those old Voice/Fax-56000bps modems and I want to know that if I were to send a fax via my BT line using this Fax 56k modem and the Fax Number I send to was to an 01,02,03,0845 or 0870 number will I be charged for the fax or will the sending of that fax to one of those numbers be free as it's part of my calling plan?

The reason I ask is because I'm tired of paying £8 odd quid a month to efax so I though it may be better to buy a 56k fax modem and see if I can send it all myself using my free BT calling plan.

Hope someone has an answer.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
I've sent a few faxes and never been charged. I'm on the unlimited plan, too.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#3]
I think it will be fine then. If you're on the nlimited plan also and the faxes were charged but were free because of the calling plan then all should be fine for me.

I'll test it out then I'll wait to the bill comes or log in to my BT account and view my usage charges to see if I've been charged.

Thanks for the reply.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
even if you get charged, you'd have to send a hell of a lot of faxes to make it more expensive than £8/month.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#5]
Yeah and that's the thing with spending the £8 on efax in that I never use anywhere near £8 worth of faxes a month. I maybe send between 7-10 faxes a month so it's pointless paying £8.

This way though I can save the £8 and just use this fax modem and the calling plan.