Computer problems

Community Forums/General Help/Computer problems

*(Posted 2009) [#1]
My computer has just started to stop booting properly, it hangs on post (when the keyboard lights flash they dont they just stay on). Once the computer starts its as good as gold but once turned off it doesnt turn on for 3+ hours.

I have changed the PSU, graphics card, hard disk, ram to no avail anyone ever experienced this that has an idea what causes it.

ATM I have an asus laptop and a XP laptop to code on but my big pc was my main programming pc.

Abrexxes(Posted 2009) [#2]
Power supply. Take another one to test.

bye

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
Power supply. Take another one to test.
He said he's already tried that.

Did you check the cabling when you swapped out the hard drive? Might be the cable itself that isn't plugged in right, or is simply faulty.

*(Posted 2009) [#4]
I checked and replaced it, the lights just stay on the keyboard and the hard disk and power light. Just like it hangs on post.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#5]
It does sound like the power supply, but as you have changed everything else it just leaves motherboard I wouldnt have thought it would be the cpu.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#6]
My computer has just started to stop booting properly, it hangs on post (when the keyboard lights flash they dont they just stay on). Once the computer starts its as good as gold but once turned off it doesnt turn on for 3+ hours.

This this consistent behaviour, or does it only happen every so many bootup sequences?

I've seen something similar with an old Dell machine freezing on POST -- the only way to get it to reboot up without having to wait a long time in between was to:

1) Unplug it from the electrical socket
2) Hold down the power button for a few seconds (draining the capacitors)
#) plug it back in, after which it booted fine.

The problem got a lot less frequent after updating the BIOS to the latest version.

*(Posted 2009) [#7]
flashed the bios after twelve hours it finally turned on again :(.

Will unplug it, and try the power button thing :)

*(Posted 2009) [#8]
changed the psu again and it starts so hopefully its fixed it :P

Jason W.(Posted 2009) [#9]
This might be unrelated, but have you checked to see if your CPU heatsink fan is working?

Jason

*(Posted 2009) [#10]
yup working fine, with the new psu it turns on more. Sometimes the video doesnt fire tho

Digital Anime(Posted 2009) [#11]
Another thing to try is just to get all cards, ram etc out of slots. Then clean the PC when there is dust visible and put all parts back. This helps if connectors are a little oxidated over time.