Visual Studio Community

Community Forums/General Help/Visual Studio Community

gpete(Posted May) [#1]
I was wondering if anyone else was able to figure out how to get Visual Basic to work within Visual Studio Community. I think I loaded/installed the correct "framework" or module or whatever they call it now - but I don't see the old familiar IDE. Apparently Microsoft thinks people can just start "coding" with all the bizarre new scripting,lua,python,C#..off the top of their heads.

skidracer(Posted May) [#2]
I live with the beauty, elegance and simplicity of Visual Studio Code and the C++ plugin each and every day. I would imagine all the quality engineers at MS have migrated already and Visual Studio itself is now legacy.

During this milestone, we closed 2199 issues across all VS Code repositories. However, while we were busy closing issues, you were busy opening them. 1925 new issues, to be exact, and we decreased our total issue count by 274. By comparison, in March we closed 1719 issues while we gained 2221 issues, and our total issue count grew by 369. Overall, April looks pretty good.

And in case you are wondering, out of the 3775 issues that we currently track in github.com/Microsoft/vscode, 2368 are feature requests. We won't run out of work anytime soon :-).

gpete(Posted May) [#3]
LOL...., I was just trying to see if I could figure out how to set it up, you know make an app from the IDE = formdesigner,"objects",toolbox, imageboxes, spinbutton, listview boxes. I think I'll just give up :)
So now I cannot get VS 2013 to work, or VS2015, or even VS 2010 and Visual Studio Community looks daunting as a visit to Hades. Thank goodness for all my non-MS programming tools. My son's friend Cody works at Microsoft, I think I will have him drop by and set me up.. (I live in Seattle area)

skidracer(Posted May) [#4]
heh, Microsoft just issued security update for XP so it's safe to boot up your old hardware for "authentic" development.

Rick Nasher(Posted May) [#5]
I'm not sure, but I think(oddly enough) you may need to resort to VS2010?

Kryzon(Posted May) [#6]
Does VSCode come with the compiler toolchain (MSBuild, that sort of thing), or do you have to download that separately?

skidracer(Posted May) [#7]
I like my editors dumb but have been finding the intelligence of design in visual studio code very refreshing (esp. plugin manager) and checking the page, it does actually list Visual Basic as supported, huh.

Kryzon - dunno, I am on Linux. In regards to toolchains, am looking forward to using the clang based wasm stack I installed recently. Now I have it working for monkey2 next task is to try out some cmake based projects.

gpete(Posted May) [#8]
I think the blame is on Windows 10. I was just able to load MS Visual C# 2005 Express on one of my WIN 7 computers- and yes the toolbox,common controls,toolbars- even the help docs are working.

Matthew Smith(Posted May) [#9]
I have VS2015 and VS2017 community installed on Windows 10 and working fine.